Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

trying to cope with worry and stress today - DH doctor appointment - any advice or hand-holding?

(3 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Mon 15-Oct-12 09:30:32

DH is off to the doctor today for a consultation about why his liver enzymes are so damn high. He was told to lose weight 6 months ago (fatty liver) and has done so, his fat levels in blood have come right down in his recent blood tests but no change at all in the incredibly high liver enzymes. Essentially his liver function tests look like he drinks about a bottle of wine a night but he barely drinks (honest!!).

His doctor is rubbish, we are trying to find someone new who is a bit more up to date because (according to a doctor friend) so far this guy's advice has been very out of date. Nevertheless DH is seeing him today to follow up on the recent blood tests.

I think it is highly likely DH will be told to have a liver biopsy (general anaestehtic I think) - he had a clear ultrasound a year ago but was warned he might need a biopsy if no improvement in blood test results.

This alone scares me a lot, but more to the point I am getting worried beyond belief about what the cause of all this could be and what will happen to DH if his liver doesn't improve.

I am 18w pregnant and the stress is awful for the baby I know, but I am driving myself mad here. Can't tell DH how worried I am as I don't want him to worry.

He was tested for Hep C so we know it's not that.

Obviously my mind is wandering to terrible things. But the enzymes have been that high for almost 3 years now so I guess if it was something truly awful there'd have been other symptoms by now.

Dh is hoping it's just taking his liver a while to recover from having been fatty for so long.

I am torturing myself!!! sad

Any advice or even just hand-holding? I am by myself all day today just waiting to hear from Dh about his appointment and don't know how I am going to get through the day.

elizaregina Mon 15-Oct-12 09:43:03

hi no advice but is he taking liver care supplements in the mean time, there is a great one called liver care

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HealthAid-803031-UK-Livercare-Tablets/dp/B002BRTPTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350290531&sr=8-1

which has milk thistle and dandelion and also i have read vitamin c in high doses can also help -

all as an aide with a good diet.

emeraldgirl1 Mon 15-Oct-12 10:29:50

Thanks eliza - he is taking quite a few supplements, fish oil etc - but not milk thistle as far as I know. I will investigate - thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now