Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Aspirin in pregnancy

(9 Posts)
Littlemissimpatient Mon 15-Oct-12 09:10:55

I'm currently 5 wks preg after 3mc.
I have gp appt on thurs and trying to get scan around 3 wks as under recurrent mc clinic although not actually been seen yet as first appt in nov.
I've read loads about taking 75mg aspirin which I'm going to speak to gp about on thurs as can prevent mc. So do I start taking one today just in case or wait to see gp on thurs? I want to do all I can and very anxious about waiting. Wwyd?

QueenofNightmares Mon 15-Oct-12 09:22:05

I am sorry to hear about your previous MC's sad I think its probably best you wait til you see the GP on thurs just to make sure its not going to interfere with any underlying medical problems you may have but I found this thread here on MN discussing taking asprin to prevent MC that you might find useful? smile Good luck.

Littlemissimpatient Mon 15-Oct-12 10:47:54

Fab thanks for the link. I agree I don't think I'll take it just wait. I just hate the waiting!
Thanks again smile

LonelyCloud Mon 15-Oct-12 10:59:04

Hope all goes well at your GP appointment, and good luck with this pregnancy. Agree it's probably best to speak to the GP before starting aspirin.

I was prescribed 75mg aspirin a day from when I was about 20 weeks pregnant with DS, and the pharmacist insisted on calling the hospital and talking to my consultant before she would fill the prescription. I'm not entirely sure what the risks of taking aspirin in pregnancy are, but the pharmacist's reaction suggests that there are some risks (which in my case were outweighed by the benefits).

Jaobrien Sun 21-Oct-12 09:55:56

I'm taking asprin to lower risk of Pre-eclampsia and have been prescribed this by consultant in hospital. So as far as I'm concerned as long as you've prescribed asprin, it's safe enough to use x

bonzo77 Sun 21-Oct-12 09:59:21

I'm on aspirin. Have been since 16 weeks to try to prevent problems withy placenta. I've not had any tests, but all the obstetricians agreed it was harmless and often very useful.

Littlemissimpatient Sun 21-Oct-12 19:12:04

Fab thanks. Got consultant on 1st nov so I'll ask her then. Just hope it's not too late

dueatxmas Mon 22-Oct-12 09:58:25

I had 2 early mc and my gp put me on 75mg aspirin. I got pregnant again and continued to take it (onlt stopped at 20 wks due to complete previa which has now moved). Currently 31 wks. Some of the m/w i spoke to say it does nothing but some think it helps so conflicting advice really but all said it does no harm.

Like others have said i would speak to your gp before starting to take it.

Good luck with this pg. Hope it all goes well.

LunaticFringe Mon 22-Oct-12 10:11:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now