Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Intense pressure from babys head engaging?

(7 Posts)
SwissArmyWife Mon 15-Oct-12 08:37:32

Hi all, I'm 36+3 with my second, so feeling a little stupid and have been having very intense pressure down below for a couple of days, I thought I was having contractions as that's the only way I could describe the pain, very strong, sharp period like cramping, and also a lot of bh contractions. It feels very similar to early labour with my first - however it's so unpredictable at the moment and I'm wondering if this couldalso be caused by the baby engaging, as I also suffer from pgp so could possibly be a mixture of the two?

Would like to know of anyone else is experiencing the same or has done before. Will call the mw today anyway but was just curious.

turnwest Mon 15-Oct-12 09:32:07

Hi

I am 40 + 3 and have been similar pain to the ones you describe for about a week or two now, I was nt engaged at all two weeks ago but am wondering whether I am now. When the baby moves I ve been getting very sharp stabbing pains in the vagina and bum area as well as a feeling of pressure and backache almost feels like I want to push. This is also my second child but dont remember feeling like this with my first, it was five years ago though!!

SwissArmyWife Mon 15-Oct-12 10:52:49

Yes that's how it feels for me too, especially when walking around. Like the baby is about to drop out! I'm getting tightenings with it too which is why I'm confused!

Elsqueak Mon 15-Oct-12 10:56:35

37wks and have similar - lower back ache, frequent toilet visits and pressure on bladder. Also bit of thigh ache. Feels like early period cramps. Keep wondering whether this is it or am just tired/upset tummy/Braxton hicks.
I don't know what to expect even though this is DC2 as first time round was induced so none of this waiting at home malarkey and wondering if I should ring maternity ward. Also, can't really remember the parent craft stuff as of course they don't offer it 2nd time, do they.
I wish I knew one way or the other but time will tell I guess.

Goldrill Mon 15-Oct-12 11:38:03

Am 40+4 with number two, and I've been having this on and off since about 36 weeks. I think her head also engages and then moves out again as the amount of pressures varies a lot - and at 38 week MW I was 3/5 and then at 40, not engaged. Guess there's just a whole lot more room to move around down there than there was for DD1!

With the first I had virtually no symptoms either; very few BH, no cramps etc. I remember pressure from the head engaging but not much else. This time I have been getting loads of cramps, tightenings, full on BH (regular, getting stronger for a few hours and then stopping), dodgy tummy, pain in back and buttocks, and...errr...the other more messy stuff. This has been going on for weeks no with no real signs of baby.

Elsqueak, I've forgotten everything too, and I even had to ask MW when you know to go to hospital - they don't think you need to be reminded for the second, I think!

SwissArmyWife Mon 15-Oct-12 11:50:49

I only had my first at the start of last year, but had none of this with her. Not even pressure from her head, I just got contractions and had her the next night!
So there I am thinking, "this is it, I'll probably have this baby tomorrow" but nothing so far!

I think midwives forget every pregnancy is different!

Elsqueak Mon 15-Oct-12 13:06:19

Yes, when do you go? Always feel like they never want to see you at hospital until the last minute.
I just downloaded a contraction counter app for my phone, got my bag packed, got my fingers crossed...not sure what else to do!

No Braxton hicks/pressure first time for me either, Swiss. It's so funny how different two pregnancies can be. I have had no SPD this time either which I was bracing myself for all 9 months. That's been a real relief!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now