Talk

Advanced search

Second labour - easier or harder?!

(25 Posts)
MacMac123 Sun 14-Oct-12 15:21:08

Just keen to hear your experiences ladies as my 2nd labour approaches.
Faster/slower/easier/harder/more or less pain etc

Had a quick birth last time ( although wouldn't exactly describe it as enjoyable) and keep getting told this one will be even quicker and easier.

Is that true? What were your experiences? Due in 3 weeks so it's coming into my thoughts!

MrsJohnDeere Sun 14-Oct-12 15:23:58

Easier. More painful but quicker and no tearing.

youbethemummylion Sun 14-Oct-12 15:24:51

I am one of those for whom the second labour was a lot quicker and easier, just as blooming painful tho! I think the main thing for me was knowing what t0 expect, when i went into labour with my first I had no clue what to expect and was crying down the phone to the midwife that I was either in labour or dying cos it hurt so bad. The second time I know what the pain was and that helped me keep calmer and more in control.

humblebumble Sun 14-Oct-12 15:24:59

Easier, faster, more enjoyable felt much more in control.

Haribojoe Sun 14-Oct-12 15:25:33

Easier, just under 4 hours from first contraction to baby in my arms.

Think natal hypnotherapy had a lot to do with it as helped take away the fear/panic.

RobinSparkles Sun 14-Oct-12 15:29:30

A hundred times easier for me! A lot less painful and a lot shorter.

Pochemuchka Sun 14-Oct-12 15:36:09

For me - number 2 was loads better!

First labour went on for more than 48 hours and hospital didn't know if my waters had broken and kept me under observation for 7 hours, discharged me only for me to go into labour big time less than an hour later!
Was totally knackered at the end of it! Also wasn't prepared as I was only 37 weeks.

Second one was 3 3/4 hours from contractions to baby in arms!
I knew I was going to have him that day too so went shopping for all the last minute things in the morning smile
There are actually photos of me laughing in labour at the hospital and I listened to music, had a bath and generally had quite a nice time!

Both births straightforward no tears etc. here's hoping DC3 is even easier!

CountryKitty Sun 14-Oct-12 16:22:51

Hi, my second labour was much faster (under 1 hour from 1st contraction to babe in arms) but because of this much more painful and traumatic.

Expecting DD3 in January and have been told to get in the car asap if I feel anything even remotely resembling a contraction given that the hospital is 45 mins away!

Goodluck!

brighterfuture Sun 14-Oct-12 16:30:47

I found 2nd labour a bit easier. I was probably more relaxed because I knew I could do it and live to tell the tale !

However the pain of the womb contracting after having given birth , especially when I was breast feeding, was much stonger and really hurt a lot , like contractions all over again and continued for a few days. My 3rd labour afterpains were worse again . I suppose it takes more work for the womb to shrink back after its been stretched a few times.

mumtocuddlebundle Sun 14-Oct-12 16:47:23

I was expecting second labour to be easier and quicker. But didn't really work out like that. It was quicker - 10 hours instead of 20. But I found it more intense. Like my body had to work through the contractions quicker. So easier in some ways, but not in others. Wasn't so long so not as exhausting. I think my tearing was slightly worse- slightly bigger baby.

bookbird Sun 14-Oct-12 16:52:33

I had an easy time first time. 9 hours from waters breaking to babe in arms. 2nd baby arrived in 2 hours from start to finish. Actually felt a bit panicked, they only examined me because I moved out the family room because I was puffing and panting so much and didn't want to wake another father to be who had the cheek to try and catch 40 winks!

AlphaBeta82 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:25:54

As I'm pregnant with my second, after 4 days of contractions and 48 hours of labour, forceps, shoulder distocia and a huge blood loss with my first, I'm hoping no.2 will be easier- ladies you give me hope!!

MirandaWest Sun 14-Oct-12 17:29:31

Much better second time round.

First time I was in hospital anyway due to Pre-eclampsia, I had a forceps delivery then a PPH of about 1500 ml. Had epidural after birth to sew me up with legs in -- position which wasnt great for someone with SPD. Had a blood transfusion the next day and felt very battered for a while.

Second time was about 6 hours from first twinge to baby and 2 of them were pushing. Small blood loss, no stitches, felt bright and perky afterwards and was able to just get on with life. Was much better smile

MacMac123 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:33:57

This is giving me hope too! Had bad tear first time round and hoping it won't happen again. Mind u not done much to prevent it (ie no Periniuem massage as keep forgetting!) so if it does happen will have to take responsibility for that!

Lindor Sun 14-Oct-12 17:42:23

second time round much better. First time quite quick but major tearing followed by 11 days in hospital. I was offered a C section second time round because of this, but decided against it.

Second time, was in gentle labour from breakfast time til teatime. Got to hospital at 6.20pm, baby born 7.20pm. No tearing, no stitches. Much better.

Hope it all goes well, X

cbeebiesatemybrain Sun 14-Oct-12 18:59:22

Second labour was way easier and faster! 2 1/2 hours from first contraction to baby and it felt less painful because I was more in control. I would definitely do it again if I could be guaranteed another labour like that!

jumblequeen Sun 14-Oct-12 19:50:39

I agree with the others who have posted, this thread is really giving me hope.

I'm only 9 weeks at the moment, but following a traumatic (and loooooooong) first delivery, I'm already feeling nervous (read: petrified). It's funny because I was so confident going into the birth of my son and I feel that the process of giving birth actually took that away from me...!

mom2rhysnruby Sun 14-Oct-12 20:43:23

Due my 2nd in 12 days, these posts r so reassuring and have helped me get over my fear after a horrible 1st birth smile

FannyFifer Sun 14-Oct-12 20:49:25

My second birth did a lot to heal the trauma of my first.
I knew what was happening, didn't panic so was more in control.
I enjoyed my labour on my second, had a few issues at the end as they needed to get DD out quickly but if was good until then.
Best of luck.

mamij Sun 14-Oct-12 20:55:00

Much easier second time! About 7 hours from twinges until baby in arms. No drugs or gas and air. And no tears.

Labour was about 72 hours first time, epidural and a small tear with stitches.

RancerDoo Sun 14-Oct-12 20:58:02

Much easier.
Still ended in emcs ( both did) but I wasn't scared, I stayed at home for ages so hardly any internals, the pain was waaay more manageable ( epidural at 4cm with dd1, no pain relief the second time) and it took half the time.

MacMac123 Mon 15-Oct-12 19:04:28

Any more 2nd labour stories? Looks like there are a few of us expecting number 2 and keen to hear more experiences!

CurlyKiwiControl Mon 15-Oct-12 19:23:32

Much better. Knew what I was doing ... Faster but okay. About 4 hours all in. Pushing / crowning a lot quicker (which I think is worst part)

Only had grazes 1st time around, but very painful when weeing or pooing for a long time.

Not even one little graze this time ... I felt normal down there really

Good luck sure U will be fine smile

Oh and DS was a pound larger than DD

javotte Mon 15-Oct-12 19:47:54

Much easier and faster. Partly because I didn't let the MW bully me into lying on my back.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 16-Oct-12 07:02:56

Just as painful but much faster and she came out much easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now