Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

heartburn

(11 Posts)
Lora1982 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:11:16

it can piss off now but somehow i know itl just get worse. i have to lye in bed with rennies then sometimes i wake up feeling like im going to be sick. im throwing myself a pity party.

terrywoganstrousers Sat 13-Oct-12 23:19:23

I have this too, can I join you?
I've found through trial and error that milk makes it worse (although feels lovely at the time!)
I tried a tip on here which works a treat- hot water with half a lemon cut up in it. Sounds counterintuitive but if you google it it does actually work-as it has an alkaline forming effect on the body apparently.
Failing that, swig the gaviscon!! I only found out this week that we can get it prescribed by the midwife!!!

I also have whooping cough at the moment and have just simultaneously vomited and wet myself through the sheer force of a coughing fit- so I feel I have reached a new low sad

bonzo77 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:32:50

I had it really badly. Rennies are useless. Try gaviscon advance tablets, sucked pretty much all the time. Much better. Or ranitidine. Or omeprazole (from the dr). I'm on omeprazole 2x a day + gaviscon advance tablets as needed, 1-3 a day. So much better.

imustbepatient Sat 13-Oct-12 23:33:22

Zantac works much better for me than gaviscon.

Lora1982 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:43:40

well terry you seem to have won the prize for hard done by-ness!!

Splatt34 Sun 14-Oct-12 07:21:39

Ranitidine. I put up with horrific reflux last time til 34 weeks & this was like a miracle. As soon as i have my free prescriptions card I'll be off to gp gor it & gaviscon on a repeat.

bonzo77 Sun 14-Oct-12 07:49:02

splat you don't need the card. The pharmacy cannot refuse you if you've forgotten it or don't have it yet.

panicnotanymore Mon 15-Oct-12 07:18:16

If I take rennies before bed I wake up vomiting. I think the body adjusts and starts over producing acid to counteract them.

Omepraole from the dr reduces stomach acid production.

SpottyTeacakes Mon 15-Oct-12 07:21:45

I've got Zantac too (well generic one which is only £1 a pack) once that stops ill be getting a prescription for omeprazole

Lora1982 Mon 15-Oct-12 09:19:34

panic... that must be what im doing wrong cos i wake up being sick. but then i cant sleep or lye because of the heartburn if i dont

panicnotanymore Mon 15-Oct-12 14:51:34

I've had acid reflux my whole life, so am a bit of an expert. My survival tactics are to eat early, avoid 'floaty food' like lettuce and fluffy bread. Bagels are great, they sink!!! I cook veg well, which isn't trendy but is more digestible, and avoid things like raw onion, peppers, cucumber, leeks, etc. Tomato sauces are also a big no no, so for example opt for shepherds pie over bolognaise. I like fruit, but always eat it with a large portion of plain yoghurt to balance out the acid. Yoghurt actually is your friend, it really helps. I find a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt is much more soothing than a rennie, and doesn't cause me to vomit later. Also eat your main protein meal at lunch time and have something lighter in the evening if you can, and try having something like a little pineapple with meat to help with digestion.

I also agree with the lemon in hot water trick, and if you are really suffering get something on prescription from the doctor.

It's horrible, but it can be managed.... if you step away from the rennies. They honestly make it so much worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now