Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

High Blood Pressure 38 weeks - now what?

(31 Posts)
Zara1984 Sat 13-Oct-12 06:27:22

At my 38 week checkup yesterday the midwife picked up high BP. So spent a few hours in the hospital getting a trace, more BP & urine checks, blood tests, ultrasound. All except BP were totally fine. My BP was ranging yesterday from 150/86 - 150/104. I also have bad swelling (feet like inflated kitchen gloves!).

Have to go back this morning for BP & urine check, then spend a few hours at day unit on Monday. Docs decided yesterday not to give me hypertension meds, as my BP is borderline, everything else is fine & baby is happy and bouncy.

Just wondering what this all means - they didn't really answer my questions on this! If my BP stays raised, but everything else is fine, do they give me meds? Bring me back for regular checks presumably? Or does this mean something like getting induced? confused

Fingers crossed BP goes back to normal today!

lyndie Sat 13-Oct-12 06:38:57

They will monitor you for PE. If your BP gets higher or you develop proteinuria or your blood tests start to go off they could be looking at inducing you if they feel it's not safe to continue to monitor you. If things stay as they are and your baby is happy then they may let you go into labour yourself. If you develop a headache, flashing lights or pain under your ribs do not delay seeking help. All the best!

MrsJohnDeere Sat 13-Oct-12 06:57:28

Expect a lot of monitoring in the next few days. If you get even the slightest hint of protein in your urine, have headaches or floating things, or the baby's movements slow down they will probably want to induce ASAP.

I was induced at 38 weeks with ds1. It was a shock (especially as dh was working at the other side of the world) but it was fine!

Zara1984 Sat 13-Oct-12 08:13:57

Thank you! Yes I wondered if this is marking me as a bit of a suspect for induction.

Will update after my checks this morning....

WeeLors Sat 13-Oct-12 11:50:50

Ooh, the same thing happened to me with DS1 at 38wks (similar BPs to you - I maintain its because I had to rush to a midwife appointment on the other side of town that morning though). Anyway, this was a Wednesday morning and they were basically having me come back for monitoring everyday but only had to go back once cos I went into labour on the Friday morning and had DS by the afternoon. Just thought I'd let you know that everything may kick off naturally for you soon without induction.

Hope all goes well x

Zara1984 Sat 13-Oct-12 12:26:52

Thanks WeeLors, it'd be lovely if the same happens for me! This morning my BPs were about 150/104, but everything else fine. They've given me blood pressure meds and are keeping me in (most likely overnight) for observation sad It's a lovely sunny day and I'd much rather be at home! So have been admitted and am in a bed on the prenatal ward now.

No word on what happens tomorrow if my BP doesn't go down, the midwives & doc have just said "we'll see".... Whatever that means! confused

Jules125 Sat 13-Oct-12 14:15:17

I'm surprised they've not offered to induce you already. Your blood pressure is quite high and would concern me.

Ask them about the HYPITAT study - this demonstrated that women with high blood pressure or mild pre-eclampsia had better outcomes (actually fewer caesareans for example, less ill-health) if they were just induced rather than managed expectantly in hospital after 37 weeks.

Good luck with this.

Zara1984 Sat 13-Oct-12 14:48:58

Thanks Jules, will mention that study!

Perhaps worryingly I've developed a bit of a mild headache (only about 3 out of 10) and feel a bit sweaty/out of it. Have had water to drink and some walks around but it hasn't helped. Will mention to midwife when she comes and does her BP check shortly.

Jules125 Sat 13-Oct-12 15:30:30

yes, definitely mention that. Your symptoms worry me a bit (I am not an expert but only just survived severe pre-eclampsia in my first pregnancy - the shock for me was how fast it went from mild to life-threatening).

straighttohellymelly Sat 13-Oct-12 16:00:02

Pre-eclampsia can move fast as Jules has said. I think they will probably induce you. Be prepared that a lot of inductions end in a c-section, so pack a bag expecting that you may be in for two or three days, and take what you may need if it does end in a section.(big pants that will not rub on the scar, magazines to read, snack, slippers etc.).

Zara1984 Sat 13-Oct-12 16:10:50

They've given me another dose of hypertension meds, as my BP has not come down much (still about 150/98).

DH has packed a little overnight bag for me and my main hospital bag is on standby at home if needed smile

Totally was not expecting this.... Have had the most uneventful pregnancy up till now and was being seen by the midwife-led unit!

SpottyTeacakes Sat 13-Oct-12 16:15:01

I was induced at 36 weeks due to sudden and sever pre-eclampsia, my BP was 185/152 even with medication. It was ten hours start to finish. Good luck with everything, remember to keep mobile, it's so easy to forget when you're in labour and strapped to a monitor!

straighttohellymelly Sat 13-Oct-12 16:55:09

I had pre-eclampsia suddenly at 39 weeks, induction failed so I had a c-section. However after the birth my BP didn't come down, even with meds, I was really stressed, being woken every two hours to have my bp taken, and so I discharged myself and went home, had some accupuncture, and it was normal within 24 hours. So have a think about accupuncture, even if just to prepare your body for going into labour a bit early. Best of luck!.

Zara1984 Sat 13-Oct-12 18:49:36

Feeling tentatively positive, latest BP is back down to 138/86 smile

SpottyTeacakes Sat 13-Oct-12 18:50:41

Oh that's much better!

wizbit93 Sat 13-Oct-12 18:59:56

Sounds like it is going in the right direction. With my 2nd child I was put on bp meds at 24wks, and at 38wks my BP was 150/110 so they induced me that night. 4 hours later DD arrived smile

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Zara1984 Sun 14-Oct-12 08:10:19

130/88 this morning... So a bit better. More hypertension meds for me. Going to quiz the doctor when s/he does their rounds this morning. After the crap night of sleep I had my preferences are (1) go home (very hopeful of this!) or (2) induction... I really don't want to (3) be kept in for days on end on the prenatal ward sad

Zara1984 Sun 14-Oct-12 08:50:46

YAY going home this morning with a prescription for those meds & an appointment at the daycare unit grin

Thank you ladies for all your info, it was soooo helpful smile in the name of completeness I will update this thread with any further developments. The next one which will hopefully be "baby born on due date, no induction, 4 hours start to finish" grin

Zara1984 Mon 15-Oct-12 13:43:00

Well I'm back admitted to hospital after a stressful morning. Got back from getting whooping cough jab at GP, was sitting on loo and had big gush of dark red blood. Panic stations, DH came home, got to hospital as fast as we could. Have had a couple of traces done and a quick ultrasound (will have a more detailed one later today) and baby is happy.... But of course I'm feeling very anxious sad they don't know what's causing the bleeding, which is still bright red and heavy. They have done internal exams too.

Am really not going to feel happy now until this baby is safely OUT and in my arms.


How did I go from super-duper low risk to this so fast?!

MrsJohnDeere Mon 15-Oct-12 13:45:01

Oh crikey! How scary. Hope things calm down or are dealt with soon.

Good luck!

straighttohellymelly Mon 15-Oct-12 13:47:40

How frightening for you- hope all is resolved soon and you have a little new baby.

Jules125 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:25:23

Up to you of course, but I would just really ask to be induced now! For me, there would just be too many things going on to make it worth the risks of continuing (considering you are 38+_ weeeks already).

Good luck

LilyBolero Mon 15-Oct-12 14:27:17

yy, I would do, just get baby out for cuddles! Hope you're ok.

Zara1984 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:33:43

Just chatted to a nurse friend, she's suggesting the same re: requesting induction. I am going to start pushing tonight/tomorrow morning for induction, I don't think I can handle just waiting and worrying. sad

whatinthewhatnow Mon 15-Oct-12 14:57:53

I'm surprised that at 38 with raised blood pressure and now a PV bleed you are not being induced. What are they waiting for?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: