Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early pregnancy - exercise advise needed please

(14 Posts)
ViciousChicken Fri 12-Oct-12 18:19:27

I've just found out this week that I'm 5 weeks pregnant and very happy about it, however I've not had my initial midwife visit yet so don't know if I'm ok to do quite a challenging bike ride I've got planned for this weekend.

I had an initial appointment with a GP (should have been a nurse but couldn't get into their clinic) and he was a bit useless, just confirmed the pregnancy, asked when my last period was and gave me the details for making an appointment with the midwife. He didn't even check my BP. I'm not sure what I should've expected from that appointment but it didn't feel very satisfying!

Anyway I do run and cycle (albeit slowly) 2 or 3 times a week normally and I know general consensus is that you can carry on doing these things during pregnancy. However someone has told me that I should have my initial midwife appointment first to check all is ok. Unfortunately that appointment isn't until the 23rd. I have done 2 short jogs this week and was a bit slow but felt ok. Symptom wise I'm fairly tired, have sore breasts and my ankles swelled a bit today.

I'm meant to be doing a 35 mile cycle sportive this weekend, with a friend who's never done that distance before so we intend to take it easy. It's not the sort of distance I do regularly but I feel that I could manage it if I took my time. I have checked my BP at work today and it's fine. So, the question is, should I ride or not? I want to but am aware I may need to be sensible.

Thanks
VC
xx

I'd do it. I did the moonwalk (26.2 miles overnight) this year at 8 weeks pg. it wasn't easy, but as long as you listen to your body I'm sure you'll be fine!

Good luck!

panicnotanymore Fri 12-Oct-12 18:25:36

I'd do it, BUT take plenty of water and snacks, and drop out if you feel uncomfortable or have a bleed. I was doing really tough training up to 7 weeks as I had no idea I was pregnant.

General advice is you can carry on with exercise routines that your body is accustomed to, but at a lower intensity, don't take up anything new, avoid getting hot, and keep well hydrated.

ViciousChicken Fri 12-Oct-12 19:45:49

That's what I'd thought really. Going to take lots of food and drink, walk when the hills are too steep, and there's an easy get-out point just before halfway if I'm really struggling! I was training quite hard up to 2 weeks ago then got floored by a cold. I've been told to stop the core work I was doing (planks are a no-no apparently!) but I'll re-start some gentle pilates after my midwife appointment.
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes. smile

notyummy Fri 12-Oct-12 19:49:11

I'd do it too. There is a pilates for pregnancy DVD BTW if you look on Amazon. Means you can keep it up throughout. MOst exercise is fine - as long as you are utterly beasting yourskef with circuits etc it is good for you in the long run.

NorthWhittering Fri 12-Oct-12 21:36:45

Do it, just make sure you listen to your body. I cycle and go to the gym and find that I get very out of breath in early pregnancy and then that goes at about 10 weeks. You might find you just feel a bit rubbish and unfit compared to normal. Last time I stopped riding my bike at about 26 weeks due to laziness, but I did carry on going to the gym and swimming, did 100 lengths at 41+ weeks grin

NorthWhittering Fri 12-Oct-12 21:37:20

Ps I thought planks were ok but sit ups not?

cookiewuk Fri 12-Oct-12 21:40:00

I train with a personal trainer and he insists we do more core exercises now Im pregnant to help my body cope with the extra weight so i don't think you need to stop the planks smile He has however stopped me from lying flat on my back as that can put pressure on a major vein and make you feel faint. Also no lifting things above my head as that can raise the babys blood pressure. As for the cycling Im sure you will be fine, I did all sorts before i found out i was pregnant at 10wks. X

panicnotanymore Fri 12-Oct-12 22:08:30

The core issue is a bit more complicated than planks ok, sit ups not. Whilst core strength is good, cast iron abs are not (my friend is an obstetrics consultant and says very strong abs make birth more difficult). The other issue is abdominal separation. Putting strain on your abs through weights or gravity can split them.

Strengthen your back, and do core exercises designed for pregnancy. I think half planks with the knees still on the floor are probably safer.

Google is great for pregnancy safe exercises. One good one is stand with shoulders back and down, bum in, back straight, and pull the baby in towards your back using your stomach muscles. If looks really funny if you look side on in a mirror as the bump moves up and back grin

18wksplus Fri 12-Oct-12 22:16:58

Great advice. I'd also add that checking heartbeat has been discredited as a way of seeing if you're working too hard (since the 140 benchmark was useless for very fit people or something): the test now is apparently whether you can hold a conversation. If you can't, you're working too hard.

Enjoy it smile

maryann970 Sun 14-Oct-12 11:02:44

Do it!!!! The general rule seems to be you can do anything you did before, just don't start anything new. I used to run 4-5 times a week but have not since my (hideous) morning sickness started about 8 weeks ago. Now I have been advised not to start again. Absolutely gutted!

I would agree with the above though to make sure you have plenty of snacks and fluids.

Have fun!

ViciousChicken Sun 14-Oct-12 18:06:15

Well I managed it! And it was fun. Luckily my friend struggled more than me which was a good excuse to take it easier and have lots of rests, and keep stuffing my face. I found myself really pushing hard on one of the climbs but when I realised I got off and pushed. I feel fine now, just very sleepy!
Thanks for all your advice, I'm determined to carry on as long as possible as I know if you have too much of a break you can't re-start anything strenuous, and the way I eat, I really need to exercise! grin

panicnotanymore Sun 14-Oct-12 21:52:33

Well done!

I was looking for some maternity sports wear and came across this advice on exercise which is quite helpful www.badabump.com/exercising-during-pregnancy/

On that note if anyone knows of anywhere that sells a decent range of maternity sports wear please let me know. I've found a few sites but the choice is very very limited.

LilllyV Mon 22-Oct-12 15:59:17

Hi panicnotanymore,

I think i sound like im working for this comapny because i linked them on another post, promise I'm not!
But have you tried fittamamma? i ordered a top and bottoms from there recently and theyre perfect! really supportive while im running but not too tight

www.fittamamma.com/section.php/2/1/fittawear

Hope this helps!xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now