Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling movements with anterior placenta?

(15 Posts)
philbee Fri 12-Oct-12 15:54:56

I noticed on my scan notes that I have an anterior placenta. I've read before that this can mean it's harder to feel the baby moving.

Does anyone else have an anterior placenta? When did you feel movements and how did they feel? I'm 14 wks and have had some gentle popping and fluttering type movements but could just be muscle twitching / wind.

newbie6 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:59:14

Hi

I'm 25 weeks and have an anterior placenta and didn't feel movement till I was about 20 weeks. I feel it now no problem but like you, it is more subtle so not full on kicks if that makes sense. Think everyone feels movement at different stages but I do know that with anterior placenta's they are not as easy to feel because essentially your placenta is acting as a bit of a buffer zone!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

x

emsyj Fri 12-Oct-12 16:03:42

I'm on my second anterior placenta pregnancy so I can't compare 'normal' position with anterior, but I'm now 24 weeks and can feel movements fairly strongly but I get the impression that there are probably lots of movements that I'm not feeling, as baby was moving a lot at my 20 week scan and I couldn't feel a thing! Also, at my midwife appointment this week she could hear & feel the baby moving through the doppler and I couldn't feel most of the movements that she was picking up.

WitchesTitWhistles Fri 12-Oct-12 16:09:53

Yes I got one of those! Never had it before and always had strong kickers.

I am 24 weeks and before I was told this at the 20 week scan I was seriously worried about lack of movements to the point of becoming a serious midwife botherer.

Now the jabs and kicks are getting stronger but there are still days when it's all muffled and vague.

philbee Fri 12-Oct-12 17:21:33

That's reassuring. This is DC2, and I was starting to feel like I should feel more movement by now, but perhaps it is to do with the anterior placenta. Does it mean you can't feel the movement from the outside? DD is very keen to feel the baby move, it would be sad if she couldn't feel much.

emsyj Fri 12-Oct-12 17:39:49

Just in this past week I have had a few belly twitches and DH managed to see one the other day - but they are really 'blink and you'll miss it' so might be a while before your DD can feel baby through your belly.

milli2512 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:17:23

I have an anterior placenta. I started to feel flutters on and off from 18 weeks and then getting definite movements at about 22-23 weeks. Some days baby seemed very quiet but think it depended on the way it was lying. At one point it was back to back and then it is when I experienced some very strong kicks.

18wksplus Fri 12-Oct-12 18:23:41

20+4 with an anterior placenta and really not feeling much (second pregnancy). Every so often I'll get a little wriggle or flutter, but not nearly as much as I'd expected...

TerrorCottaPumpkinPie Fri 12-Oct-12 18:24:02

DC3 was my first anterior placenta. Definitely felt movements later than the others but once they appeared I felt most.

And don't worry about your DD not feeling them from the outside. It might not happen until baby is a bit bigger but she will be able to feel/see those big kicks!

DinosaursOnASpaceship Fri 12-Oct-12 18:26:41

I'm 24+1 with an anterior placenta. I am starting to feel gentle movements over the last couple of days. This is dc4 and in previous pregnancies I felt movement at 16 weeks or so.

BionicEmu Fri 12-Oct-12 19:13:05

I'm now 24+2 with an anterior placenta. I first felt odd bits of movement at about 21 weeks, but not v much at all until about 23 weeks. Now I can feel quite a lot. It's odd though because I only seem to feel anything either really low down or really far to the side! I'm guessing that's where the edges of the placenta are?

Oh, and DC1 was hugging my bump a couple of days ago and got a kick in the head - he could definitely feel it and looked v confused (he turns 2 next week so I'm not sure he really understands at the moment anyway) grin Although I'm slightly concerned that my boys appear to be fighting already - dreading what this might mean for the future!

coronalover Fri 12-Oct-12 19:26:09

I'm 36+3 with anterior placenta, I first felt movements around 14/15wks (same as with DC1 with posterior placenta). I'm now getting serious kicks and jabs and can't wait for her to be born! The only difference is the mw said it can made palpation a bit more difficult for her to do.

Congrats on your pg thanks

Chocaholics Fri 12-Oct-12 19:35:06

I am 22 weeks with an anterior placenta, I started feeing very soft kicks at 20 weeks but was never really sure if it was gas or not and just this week I have felt definate kicks. I only feel them very low down as well.

Congratulations btw.

glossyflower Fri 12-Oct-12 19:40:21

I'm almost 13 weeks with anterior placenta and I've occasionally felt little bubbles that I thought was baby.

panicnotanymore Fri 12-Oct-12 19:43:49

I'm 20 weeks - when she lies back to back and crossways ways with her feet sticking forward (which she does a lot.... unfortunately) I get booted (and punched) quite strongly. I can see this from the outside as well. If she flips round I don't feel anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now