Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweep? Guessing nothing to do with Sooty?

(8 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Fri 12-Oct-12 12:36:58

I keep on reading about ladies on here going for 'a sweep'. I KNOW I am going to regret asking this Question in the months to come ..... but, what is a sweep?
From a terrified first time mum with no knowledge of the process confused

Orenishii Fri 12-Oct-12 12:40:07

I am wondering this myself as I have a MW appointment on my due date and have a feeling she might offer one. But I kinda feel like having one on my due date - and not yet overdue - is jumping the gun a little so might decline.

Here's some info though: www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/labour/membranesweepexpert/

iamwhaticallpregnant Fri 12-Oct-12 12:46:47

yep..... I wish I hadnt asked sad
only joking - thanks for the info smile

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Fri 12-Oct-12 12:49:43

It's not that bad. Quite uncomfortable but ok. You get used to being prodded and poked in your nether regions near the end.

Saying that, it didn't work withDD2 for me, but I'm booked in for one next thurs. by which time I will be 41 weeks.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 12-Oct-12 12:56:07

I had one and it started labour so I was very grateful. It hurts, I won't lie but it's nothing compared to labour (sorry, I'm a big wimp) and its over quickly. Just make sure you wear a pad after as I bled a bit. Good luck! Hopefully you'll have a baby soon!

aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 12-Oct-12 12:57:05

Forgot to add, of you have a sweep it feels similar to when they examine you in labour for how dilated you are so at least you'll be prepared for that bit grin.

JennerOSity Fri 12-Oct-12 14:06:16

I have one booked for week and a half from now if baby hasn't made an appearance.

I asked the midwife this very question.

She said it is the same as an internal vaginal examination to see how dilated you are, but while they are in there they use two fingers to slightly open the cervix in a circular motion. She said this often has the effect of kick starting things as it can trigger the necessary hormonal release to begin labour. It can be uncomfortable but shouldn't be very painful. HTH

JennerOSity Fri 12-Oct-12 14:07:59

Which is what the link posted says! Oops sorry, bit behind today. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now