Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

3 miscarriages. Pregnant again... any advice? tips?

(10 Posts)
DizzyDizzy Thu 11-Oct-12 21:27:42

I've had 3 miscarriages in total, but 1 was with a previous partner, so they haven't started investigations. I had my dating scan yesterday, as the dates worked out I should have been almost 12w5d, but now I've had that I've been told I'm actually 9w2d with a strong heart beat.
I'm currently taking a boots pregnancy vitamin tablet (obv inc. folic acid) and I've got an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, to hopefully get some aspirin. But can anybody else suggest other things that can help prevent miscarriage?? Own experiences? What have you done? Even if you don't necessarily think you managed to carry all the way through because of it, I'm willing to try anything that may help and won't cause harm to the baby....

Rockchick1984 Thu 11-Oct-12 22:05:57

No advice for you, but everything I've read implies there's usually nothing you can do to prevent miscarriage. Once you have seen the heartbeat the risk is only about 4% so significantly lower. When were your previous losses, were they earlier or late? I truly hope everything works out for you this time and you have a strong, healthy baby thanks

SandWitch Thu 11-Oct-12 22:17:01

Sorry, I really can't give you any advice, as I am not sure what made the difference for me, but just wanted to give you some hope.

I had three early losses before managing to hold on to a pregnancy and now have two wonderful children.

Really, really hope all goes well for you this time. I know how heartbroken I was after each loss. I felt like my body just could not do its 'job'; you have got through the first significant milestone though and I pray this great news continues.

GrandPoohBah Thu 11-Oct-12 23:12:07

I had three miscarriages and am now 33weeks. So although I can't give you any advice on what might help, I hope I can reassure you that it can and does happen even after three losses.

Fingers crossed for you. A strong heartbeat is a great sign, and your dates could be out because (in my experience), miscarriages can totally bugger up your cycles.

cupcake78 Fri 12-Oct-12 02:25:44

I had a few mc and then managed a full term pregnancy. I rested a lot, no sex for 4mths. No idea if it made a difference but made me feel like I was doing something.

gemdrop84 Fri 12-Oct-12 10:07:22

I've had 3 mcs and now 26wks+1 with ds, so I hope that reassures you it can happen after those losses. I didn't think there was anything else I could really do to help my chances but to feel like I did something, I decided to take it easy and rest, took folic acid plus vitamins and ate well. And I agree with GrandPooh, mcs can bugger up your cycles, my last mc was in Jan this yr, so I thought I had worked my cycle out right by the time I got my BFP. When I went for my 12 wk scan I thought I was 11wks+6, but turned out I was actually 13 wks. Fingers crossed and best of luck with your pg. xx

DizzyDizzy Sat 13-Oct-12 20:46:30

i knew there was probably nothing i could have done. but you really feel you have to try to do something... i've quit smoking obviously, and don't drink AT ALL. but i'm at uni full time and work part time too. so resting isn't really an option sad saw the doctor yesterday, and she said the number 1 reason for miscarriage was the mother's blood is often to think, that's why aspirin is perscribed (to thin the blood) so she's given me that. i was only 6w 1st mc. then the 2nd was a mmc, i had an early scan at 8 weeks with a strong heart beat, but when i went for 12 week scan (should have been 12w4d) there was no heart beat and only measured at 11w5d. and the last mc, also a mmc was about 8 weeks, but wasn't confirmed, so had to keep going back every 2 weeks for 6 weeks before they confirmed the mc, and had to have d&c after a horrible experience with medical management with the 2nd mc. but hoping the 1 in 4 odds of mc is just reversed for me, so this one will work out fine. fingers crossed. thank you so much for all your replies though. i think this site is brilliant, and it's really helped me (especially 2nd mc) we're all amazingly strong women, and definetly deserve the comforting words off each other xxxx

Littlemissimpatient Mon 15-Oct-12 07:42:31

dizzy how are you feeling?
I'm in same boat, pg after 3 mc but not as far along as you. It's really scary isn't it!!

DizzyDizzy Wed 17-Oct-12 18:51:52

very! i was soooo frustrated when she said i was only 9 weeks. but all you can do is hope everything works out, and do everything possible to prevent a mc. atleast then if it happens, you know you did all that you could, and you can say for sure "it's not my fault!!!". helps in my mind anyway. hope it all works out for you too xxxx

Brycie Wed 17-Oct-12 18:55:40

I'm so sorry. But congratulations. I've been through similar. With the firsts pregnancy which went on, I worked on the lines of if you don't have to stand, sit, and if you don't have to sit, lie. I really did. Half hte problem can be self blame and self questioning (as you know!)and whether you could have done more. I really felt like it helped though, just keeping your tiredness levels right down and indulging yourself. I think I just lay around as much as I could for three and a half months, and slept whenever I could too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now