Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant or just paranoid?

(4 Posts)
CheekyBlonde Thu 11-Oct-12 21:27:40

I'm all new to this, not even sure whether i'm posting on the right bit tbh.
So me and my fiance have been trying for a baby for last few months ( a.k.a ditched condoms and carried on as normal) so every know and again I have pregnancy 'symptom' or two, late period once. However last few days it's been worse than usual. My temperature is bit high, I had quite a few headaches and I've been that bit more cranky than usual PMS. To start with I thought I just got a cold but after 4 days than no cough or runny nose as I'd normally get. Also, I need to visit toilet more, had to give up on my late night tea cuz then I could as well sleep on the toilet :P My period is due tomorrow/saturday and i had a little cramp but that's it. I've read somewhere that symptoms don't show until 6 weeks so I start to think i'm just seeing those things as symptoms cuz we've been trying? Also, should I test tomorrow or maybe wait till sunday?

PS Sorry for such a monologue

18wksplus Thu 11-Oct-12 22:44:48

It's a myth that symptoms don't start until 6 weeks - total rubbish. With both mine I got symptoms three or four days after conception (ie 9/10 days before my period was due): the only cycles I have had these symptoms were those when I was pregnant so they are clearly linked. I never got a positive pregnancy test until almost a week later, by which point I was so sick I almost didn't need one smile

So your symptoms could well mean pregnancy smile

If you test tomorrow and you are pregnant, it is very likely to come up positive (can't remember the stats but it's pretty certain to show a pregnancy if there is one). However some women take longer show, which is worth remembering if you get a negative but no period - waiting until Sunday is a little bit more certain.

There is also the possibility of getting a positive test and then still getting your period - a 'chemical' pregnancy/very early miscarriage (where a fertilised egg implants for long enough to produce enough HcG hormone to give you a positive test but then doesn't develop any further). This is pretty heartbreaking, but it does at least show that you can get pregnant - it shows that you're ovulating, his swimmers work, your tubes are clear etc. Waiting until your period is definitely late reduces the risk of this, but obviously if you do get your period you'll never know if you were pregnant (even if only for a day or two) and therefore whether the above medical matters aren't a concern. That's really a choice for you to make.

Personally, I'd already have tested but that's just me and my impatience smile

Good luck!

HaveALittleFaith Fri 12-Oct-12 15:23:26

I got my symptoms two days before my period was due - threw up at work! Also felt exhausted and had tender boobs.

I agree I would test with first morning urine (its more concentrated).I like First Response early response tests - they are very sensitive and pink dye tests are less likely to give a false positive. Avoid the digital tests in the early days - you think they're better because they're more expensive but they're less sensitive! Good luck!

cupcake78 Fri 12-Oct-12 16:14:21

Some women can get symptoms straight after conception. Every time I've been pregnant ive had symptoms before my test date. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now