Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strong palpitations accompanied by occasional dizzy spells

(12 Posts)
PipIsOutNow Thu 11-Oct-12 15:28:30

Hello!! I'm 24 weeks and for the past week have had a few moments where I've had really strong palpitations and dizziness. Just wondering if I should be concerned at all? Could it be blood pressure related? I had pre eclampsia on my last pregnancy so I'm a bit paranoid now! Does anyone know when high blood pressure in pregnancy starts to matter?

BartletForTeamGB Thu 11-Oct-12 15:30:54

Don't ask strangers on the internet about this. Please see your GP. It could be something or nothing, but you need to be seen by a doctor for them to listen to and examine you.

Dogsmom Thu 11-Oct-12 15:41:42

I'll be following this as I too get palpitations, usually in bed but twice they have taken my breath away as they were so strong (I'm 18+5)

I've googled the subject and apparently palpitations are a common pregnancy symptom due to increased blood flow but I have a routine midwife appt in the morning so will ask her opinion.

I'm not sure when high blood pressure starts to be a concern but you could buy a blood pressure machine to use at home and check it daily.

HaveALittleFaith Thu 11-Oct-12 15:46:52

I get bad dizziness and my BP has been pretty low since getting pregnant. However I agree with Barlet, speak to your midwife or GP as the combination with palpitations should be checked out.

PipIsOutNow Thu 11-Oct-12 15:51:16

I have midwife tomorrow so will ask her but just wondered if anyone had any experience of it. I am definitely not finding this pregnancy remotely glamorous!

FatimaLovesBread Thu 11-Oct-12 15:52:52

Def recommend asking your midwife.
I suffered quite a few dizzy spells and palpitations. Mine were due to low blood pressure and low iron levels.

IWantToGoToThere Thu 11-Oct-12 19:56:47

I have had this with this pregnancy and also had it with my first too. My BP was always fine and I was told it was just one of those things. It's horrible though and it leaves me feeling quite sick and out of sorts.

But of course, what's normal for one preggo may not be normal for another, so I would mention it to your MW if I were you.

lolo99 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:49:56

I have had it this week a bit more than unusual and just waiting for blood tests. The doc thinks it will be low iron levels. Hope you get it sorted soon. It's not nice is it. I'm 22 weeks + 4

MrsWooster Thu 11-Oct-12 20:58:27

I had this in preg 1 and midwife said it was prefectly normal BUT... When I mentioned it in passing to GP, after DS was born, he shat himself and sent me for all sorts of tests etc. 9 times out of 10 it's SVT and nothing to worry about but it can be atrial fibrillation and potentially serious. Really recommend you get it checked by a doctor.

sundaesundae Thu 11-Oct-12 20:59:47

Midwife told me to take two spatones a day for a week and then one a day for a week and report back if it didn't clear up. She definitely though iron.

cbeebiesatemybrain Fri 12-Oct-12 09:15:11

I had this and it turned out to be anaemia, it stopped really soon after I started the iron tablets.

PipIsOutNow Fri 12-Oct-12 15:43:24

Saw midwife today and she wasn't remotely concerned :/ if it persists il just book in to see gp. Thanks for all the replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now