Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Painful Mid-Back?

(8 Posts)
Sastra Wed 10-Oct-12 17:21:52

I'm nearly 38 weeks and for the last few days my mid back area has been really painful. It hurts lying on my side, sitting upright etc., and I can only get some relief when completely flat on my back which of course worries me as you're not meant to do that. I've struggled to get back to sleep after one of my many nighttime trips to the loo because it aches so much.

Has anyone else had this? I understand lower back pain but I don't get this?!

ivanapoo Wed 10-Oct-12 19:15:00

Is it round your ribs? On one side or both?

Sastra Wed 10-Oct-12 19:43:23

It's both sides. Right across my back. Tis horrid sad

Springforward Wed 10-Oct-12 19:48:33

I had something similar - I saw a physio who said that it's because everything is pulling you forward and your posture suffers. She used Biofreeze on me after a lot of rather loud cracking and some serious poking around - helped loads!

Sastra Wed 10-Oct-12 19:59:33

That makes sense. I'm glad I'm not the only one to have had it!

Springforward Wed 10-Oct-12 20:24:47

If it is the same type of thing - swimming helped me massively, as it was probably the only time I stretched my back out into something approximating normal!

I also found it persisted after DS arrived and was particularly aggravated by BFing posture, so I bought one of those cushions that go around you so DS was mostly supported by that rather than me holding him up to my boob all the time, and took it everywhere we went. The physio gave me a set of exercises which made the world of difference, and I kept the biofreeze going for ages too.

ButtonBoo Wed 10-Oct-12 20:48:09

Might be way off with this but might it be gall-stones? I had my gall bladder out a few years ago (prior to pg) and I know it's quite common in pg apparently.

The pain is awful and serious attacks have been likened to childbirth. Between shoulder blades but very slightly lower. It's usually worse in the evening. And often worse if you eat fatty/oily foods during the day.

Might be as other posters have suggested but if pain is BAD see your GP to check. A quick ultrasound scan will confirm.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Sastra Wed 10-Oct-12 22:06:01

I've had to stop swimming because my hips and lower back can't take it any more.

Yes, just below the shoulder blades is where it is. It feels like muscle spin though, like I'm all scrunched and super achy.

Get out of me baby!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now