Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

due date tmrw sweep?

(13 Posts)
emzypoo Wed 10-Oct-12 15:06:41

Hiya just needing to have a moan! Its my due date tomorrow and so far this week I have cramping, bad back, bump ache no loss of mucus plug and I'm starting to think I'm never going to have the baby and its all in my head the pain I'm getting as its only at night! I have mw tmrw and wondereing if I will be offered a sweep at 40 weeks or will I be made to wait a bit longer?
Also realy big pressure down below when I walk makes me feel I will wee myself infact I did a bit lol x

ZuleikaD Wed 10-Oct-12 15:33:48

I'm sure your MW will offer you a sweep. It'll be useful even if it doesn't get anything moving because she'll be able to tell you how ripe your cervix is and whether you'll need another appointment next week.

MoonHare Wed 10-Oct-12 16:07:34

Why ask for a sweep when you're not even over your EDD? The less interference the better imo.

Yes it's uncomfortable at the end (I have 10 days til EDD and truly do empathise with all of the symptoms you describe - and I do mean all!) but those few extra days beyond EDD while seeming endless at the time really aren't memorable once your baby is here.

I know many do not agree with me but I think that unless there are medical reasons it's always best to let baby arrive in their own time.

newtonupontheheath Wed 10-Oct-12 16:12:12

My midwife told me NICE guideline are closer to 41 weeks the better. She wouldn't go ear me until then... Despite me really really trying to convince her otherwise!

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Wed 10-Oct-12 16:15:19

Me too. I'm due tomorrow. I'll just see what MW says when I see her at 5pm.

Got SPD and can't walk far, but happy to take her advice.

emzypoo Wed 10-Oct-12 16:33:27

When I had a scan last week I was booked in to discuss induction at 41 weeks at hospital I took that to b routine which I thought was soon! the way I feel I'm willing to try anything x

Littleplasticpeople Wed 10-Oct-12 16:36:14

I was offered a sweep last Friday when I was exactly 40 weeks, I turned it down. MW appointment this Friday Andi will turn it down then too I think, but this is mainly as I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to internals.

imustbepatient Wed 10-Oct-12 17:14:13

Sounds like it must vary a bit as my MW told me yesterday that they don't do sweeps till 41 weeks. I'm just hoping I don't need one by then!

mummy2benji Wed 10-Oct-12 17:31:47

I am hoping to get a sweep at 40 weeks but only because hubby has his final consultant surgical exam less than 2 weeks after baby is due - so if I go over by much he may not be able to sit it, which would cause major stress and mean we have to pay another 2 grand for him to retake it in a few months time (plus extra months of stress and study when we have baby). Hoping it may not come to that as I was 3 days early with ds so you never know. Otherwise I would probably be happy with a sweep at 41 weeks, although the impatience of going over would be hard!

ZuleikaD Thu 11-Oct-12 06:54:24

My MW starts talking about sweeps at 39 weeks - her view is that if the baby's not ready then it won't do anything anyway, but there's nothing like a quick feel around to tell her how far away labour is. A sweep isn't 'interference' because it doesn't change anything if the cervix isn't ready (if the cervix really isn't ready then the MW won't physically be able to sweep anyway). If the cervix is ready then a sweep can just nudge things along a bit.

emzypoo Thu 11-Oct-12 08:33:52

I realy hope mine will do one today fingers and toes crossed

Walnut8 Fri 12-Oct-12 06:08:08

I had three with my first pregnancy and they did nothing except make me bleed a little. I wouldn't get too excited about having one done!!! And I'm intending on refusing to have one this time around, if offered (although I don't think they do them in the country I now live in, anyway).

emzypoo Fri 12-Oct-12 06:35:47

I am having one at 40 +5 thats the earliest they do them in my area so gotta wait until tuesday x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now