Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Horrible taste in mouth

(23 Posts)
Rico08 Wed 10-Oct-12 11:31:00

Hi

I've constantly got a horrible taste in my mouth (not metallic), it's hard to describe but it's making morning sickness even worse 'cos it's making me gag!
My mouth is also very watery. I've tried mints etc to get rid of the taste but nothing works. I'm off food and even find something to drink difficult

Anybody had he same yucky taste/watery mouth and what helped ?

Thanks

ladymia Wed 10-Oct-12 11:45:19

I had this from about 7 - 10 weeks it was horrible. best way to describe it for me was like dirty drain water.

I tried all sorts nothing helped ... Drinking soury citrus drinks relieved it a little, like lemonade etc

ZuleikaD Wed 10-Oct-12 12:06:45

Yes, I had this with DD. Nothing helped, it just passes. The too-much-spit thing can really hang around though.

emeraldgirl1 Wed 10-Oct-12 14:29:17

I had it and even thinking about it now makes me gag. Wasn't metallic at all, more like rotting food. It was worst with very sweet fruit and jam. I kept mints on me and popped one every time I was scared the taste was looming

scentednappyhag Wed 10-Oct-12 14:30:38

Starburst. Shiteloads of starburst.
And ice lollies are fab too.

DoIgetastickerforthat Wed 10-Oct-12 14:36:09

Urgh, yes I had this. I didn't find mints all that helpful but fruity sweeties and v. sharp tasting lemonade did work a little.

Horrid isn't it? Not metallic at all, more like what I imagine the contents of the food recycling bin would taste like. Blurgh! It did clear up around the 13 week mark though, so take heart.

sittinginthesun Wed 10-Oct-12 14:46:34

Frozen grapes, every time!

Rico08 Wed 10-Oct-12 14:55:54

Thanks all.

I'm 8 weeks so I am hoping it will pass soon, can just about cope with watery mouth but the taste is driving me nuts. It's really putting me off food & drink.

Feeling really under the weather today so dh has just got home from work and i've sent him out for lemonade and fruity sweets supplies.

Rico08 Wed 10-Oct-12 14:58:36

I tried extra strong mints, which were ok while sucking them but taste seemed worse after so defo going to try the fruity route

spandau1980 Wed 10-Oct-12 18:52:37

Had this too til 16 weeks x

jenbird Wed 10-Oct-12 19:11:29

You haven't eaten pine nuts recently have you? I had similar when not pregnant, it was the most disgusting thing. Dr Google said it was pine nuts that are being imported from china. Apparently if they are about to turn they cause this. That said nothing got rid of the taste but it did take two weeks x

ivanapoo Wed 10-Oct-12 19:14:11

I had this, menthol sweets and hard fruit candies seemed to help the most. Also Refreshers.

Leftwingharpie Wed 10-Oct-12 22:03:05

I had it and still have to some extent but it hugely improved at about week 14. Gargling with bicarbonate of soda solution helps a lot. I also found that drinking Gaviscon helped for some reason. You have my sympathy it really is awful. I had a full dental check up, scale and polish and it didn't make any difference.

Rico08 Thu 11-Oct-12 11:42:06

Thanks all.

Lemonade seems to work a bit, I've actually drunk quite a bit so that's better as I have gone off most drinks. I have bought some fruity ice lollies to try as well.

Hopefully the taste will go soon fingers crossed

pinkpeony4 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:23:43

I still have this at 20 weeks sad It is marginally better than it was in the first trimester and at least I can now clean my teeth without feeling sick which helps! The taste is grim though. This is baby 4 & I had it in all my previous pregnancies too.

In the first trimester I used to eat a lot of fruit mentoes & ice lollies (although that was the summer).

I hope you are lucky & yours goes soon

ipswichwitch Thu 11-Oct-12 13:36:15

Experiencing the same here (about 5wks). It's like u haven't brushed my teeth in a week! Also had this through my last pregnancy, and think it went about the time I had my first scan. It's really not helping the m

ipswichwitch Thu 11-Oct-12 13:37:29

Morning sickness and I also find that copious amounts of sweets and drinks is the only thing that helps.

Sorry, accidentally hit post (blasted iPhone)

MrsJohnDeere Thu 11-Oct-12 13:39:22

It is horrible, isn't it. Mine has eased at 11 weeks but is still there enough to be annoying.

Iced water heps me, and sweet stuff, particularly chocolate, makes it much worse.

I've just eaten some chocolate and have it now angry

I still have this at 30 weeks sad ice lollies are good as is fresh fruit. Or brushing your teeth.....lots.

I hope it gets better for you soon.

Leftwingharpie Thu 11-Oct-12 17:47:05

Mrs JD I also found sweet stuff made it a lot worse. All I could drink for ages was carbonated water or tonic water. Oh and sips of dry white wine!

preggersshock Thu 11-Oct-12 17:57:14

I can totally relate to this, mouth like a sewer that no amount of toothpaste can fix! I did everything I was advised to do... Gargled salt water, tangtastics, mints and nothing cut through it.. Anyone who hasn't had it can't possibly relate to how grim it makes you feel! Good news is it gets better (or you learn to live with it!), in my case I still have it at 38+2 - I sympathise! sad

Leftwingharpie Fri 12-Oct-12 12:20:16

preggersshock please come back to the thread after the birth and reassure us all that it has gone!

AmayaBuzzbee Fri 12-Oct-12 13:18:06

Yep, i have this still now at 15 weeks. I carry mints (which don't help much), minty mouth spray and small bottle of mouth wash to gurgle with in my handbag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now