Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oh no, the morning sickness has arrived

(16 Posts)
Stepawayfromthesweeties Tue 09-Oct-12 20:40:54

I'm 4wks +4 and thought I was doing quite well. Mild back ache, stomach cramps, nausea but nothing I couldn't deal with. My IBS has flared up, but I thought I had things under control until I woke up this morning. Woke up at 5am to find the room spinning, went to the loo and was so dizzy I nearly fell over. Went back to bed for an hour feeling dreadful. Finally got up at 6.30 and the wretching started, 15 minutes and lots of dry heaving later and I was a jibberring wreck. Had to get ready for work whilst shaking like a leaf plus the IBS has gone crazy. The car and the train ride to work almost finished me off!! By lunch time I felt loads better but need to try and find a way to deal with this each morning. Any suggestions greatly welcomed, thanks in advance

Pontouf Tue 09-Oct-12 20:49:25

Different things work for different people. Some people swear by having something to eat before you get out of bed - keeping some biscuits by the side of the bed for example. Travel sickness wrist bands have helped a little for me, as has eating little and often - if I'm hungry I feel sick, if I'm too full I feel sick. Ginger can sometimes help - capsules, biscuits, tea etc. the most important thing is to keep hydrated. If to can't eat, make sure you force some fluids down. I had hyperemisis with my 1st pregnancy and found that I would vomit every time I drank something. The only way to get fluids on was to suck ice cubes or ice lollies. It stops your body reacting to the fluid hitting your stomach.

Pontouf Tue 09-Oct-12 20:50:34

Sorry posted too early! Just wanted to say good luck with the pregnancy, hope it is relatively plain sailing smile

Stepawayfromthesweeties Tue 09-Oct-12 20:59:36

That's great thank you, I'll take some emergency biccies up to bed with me tonight (i'll just need to hide them from my biscuit mad dh :0) and I'll nip to the shops tomorrow for some ginger capsules. You could be right about the fluids, I tend to not have a drink before bed so I don't have to get up during the night for a wee, so it could be that I'm getting too dehydrated. Thank you so much, it's baby number 1 for me, so I'm a bit shell shocked with it all

WhenLifeGivesYouLemons Tue 09-Oct-12 21:08:51

Focus on drinking enough. If you have to make a choice between fluids and food... chose fluids. And snack often. Don't worry too much about what you're eating as long as it works for you. All of the healthy eating literature that the Drs and M/W's will give you is more for the overweight pg ladies, so don't feel stressed like you need to start some sort of health eating regime.

Stepawayfromthesweeties Tue 09-Oct-12 21:15:13

I'm going to have a glass of milk before bed and take some water up with me. Ican't believe how much I've learned about pregnancy in the last 5 days!!! Thanks so much for the advice x

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 21:19:26

I found that eating toast just before i went to bed helped,
If nothing else at least I had something still in my stomach to bring up the following morning, hate dry wrenching nothing worse,
Also I used to keep a stock of ginger biscuits and dry crackers next to my bed and would nibble on these if I woke in the night, again just so I always had something in my tummy,
Eating little and often helped,
Also sucking on mints and drinking peppermint tea helped,

Old wives tale,
if you are cold, shivery and feeling sick - ginger
If you are hot, sweaty, and feeling sick - peppermint.

Hope you feel better soon!

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 21:22:26

Oh and also, if you do vomit, don't instantly brush your teeth,
Instead rince your mouth with water and instead just run with your finger toothpaste onto your teeth and leave to rest for a while,
If you start frantically brushing you rub the enamel down.

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 21:23:27

Rub! Not run, sorry,
rub toothpaste on your teeth with your finger.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 09-Oct-12 23:05:58

God I remember that! I had MS practically from conception! definitely eat before rising. Granny's ginger cake was fantastic. I dont know what Id do if I had another, she's passed away now! sad

zigwig Tue 09-Oct-12 23:15:18

Rice cakes helped for my first couple of weeks ms. I could keep them down and they didn't make me feel more sick. Sucking on jelly babies or polos also weirdly helped the nausea for a bit. You could try them. Ginger didn't ever work for me. Keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.

Sheldonella Wed 10-Oct-12 11:45:11

I found that certain foods make me feel sick so avoided them. Anything with wheat seemed to take ages to digest and made me feel terrible. I stopped eating bread and pasta and it was much more bearable.
The good news is it does get better in the second trimester.

Stepawayfromthesweeties Wed 10-Oct-12 19:35:10

Well I did the eat before rising thing is morning and I've felt really well all day. No wretching at all this morning and only a little bit of nausea, I even bounded into the office full of energy. I've been eating something every 2hrs (although getting really bored of almonds and rich tea biscuits) and drinking plenty of water and peppermint tea. Brilliant advice, thanks ladies xx

Mintyy Wed 10-Oct-12 19:36:44

4 weeks + 4?

How long have you known you are pregnant?

Stepawayfromthesweeties Wed 10-Oct-12 19:43:47

I've known for 1week, I did the test last weds. I started having symptoms within a few days and thought that I was either pg or had a virus (really achy back, sore boobs, stomach cramps) so decided to poas. Only 37 weeks to go ;0)

Mintyy Wed 10-Oct-12 19:50:27

Oh congratulations! You will find that it flies by, except for the last 4 weeks, which take forever grin.

For morning sickness the only thing that took the edge off it for me were those sea bands you can get from the chemist. But different things work for different people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now