Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Question about using a moses basket

(9 Posts)
interwebmum Tue 09-Oct-12 17:13:36

Hello,
I've been given a moses basket and was just wondering if it's ok to have the baby on the floor next to the bed at night? Are there any safety issues I should know about? Or do I have to buy a stand so she is on the same level as the bed?

It's my first baby so there may be more daft questions to come!

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Tue 09-Oct-12 17:15:13

I think I'd be scared of standing on baby if the basket was on the floor. Stands are quite cheap.

If you have a c section or bad stitches or are just really tired you won't be wanting to bend down to pick up the baby 6 times a night.

Plus she won't be able to hear your breathing which can be quite important in the early days

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 09-Oct-12 17:34:26

We used a moses basket on the floor and it was fine. We tilted it with some large books placed under one end to stop him being sick all the time (mild reflux I think).

ThreeWheelsGood Tue 09-Oct-12 17:42:29

I've heard its absolutely fine - obviously not if you have pets though! - but the issue is definitely whether you want to be bending over that far. Might as well buy a cheap stand (maybe second hand).

HoopDePoop Tue 09-Oct-12 17:43:44

Def get a stand, for safety, for being able to hear each other breathing, and most of all so you can lie v close to your little newborn envy

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Tue 09-Oct-12 17:45:23

Oh and if the basket is second hand, it's recommended you get a new mattress.

interwebmum Tue 09-Oct-12 17:57:43

Thanks so much for all the advice! I feel so clueless about how all the practical baby stuff works. I'm 31 weeks so need to get organised!

whatsoever Wed 10-Oct-12 10:09:30

We got a stand for about £15 at the Mamas & Papas outlet in Huddersfield, I'm expecting it to make life much easier to reach out to the baby to feed/comfort him or her during the night.

I'd be a bit scared of accidentally standing on the baby in a sleep deprived blur in the middle of the night if the were on the floor, as a previous poster mentioned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now