Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why am I not putting weight on and where is my appetite goddamnit?!

(4 Posts)
bumpitybumpbump Tue 09-Oct-12 13:13:10

I know a lot of people think they would like to have this problem, but I'm increasingly worried by the fact that at 16 weeks I weigh less than pre-pregnancy still. I had dreadful morning sickness from 6wks - 14 weeks but surely now I should have a ravenous appetite to compensate for the lbs I lost from vomitting? I was very slim before I got pregnant so I don't really have any reserves to rely on so I really need to put some calories away for bump's sake. Is anyone else struggling to find their munching mojo? When can I expect it back, I miss it and I miss my bottom which has all but disappeared! Bumless with a bump - it's not at attractive look!

panicnotanymore Tue 09-Oct-12 13:48:04

Are you someone who has always eaten a high bulk low calorie diet? Lots of fruit and veg, wholemeal everything, skinless chicken, white fish, pulses etc? I ask because I am, and I have always found it hard to gain weight.

The trick is to switch to low bulk energy dense food, as then you don't need to be particularly hungry to eat enough. Switch back once you are comfortable with your weight. I eat more oily fish, nuts and seeds, healthy oils, avocados, red meat, cheese, eggs, chicken skin, whole milk dairy rather than semi skimmed etc. I still eat fruit and veg but a smaller volume, and if I have something like potato with a meal I mash in some milk and butter to increase calories. It's actually very easy.

Keep a food diary - it helps highlight where the shortfall is.

bumpitybumpbump Tue 09-Oct-12 14:45:32

Thanks pna - A food diary is a really good idea. I try to eat as high calorie foods as possible because I think my stomach must have shrunk (either that or the baby's getting in the way!) because I feel so full after a childs portion of food - and then don't feel hungry again for hours. I just assumed that because I'm building a new person that my appetite would be ravenous (the way it is when you do a lot of physical exercise)!

Pre pregnancy I always had trouble putting on weight usually due to work stress etc rather than any dietary restrictions, but I'm trying to take things easier now so I would hope that wasn't a factor. So I guess I'll have to stick to the peanut butter on toast with lashings of butter option which together with mini babybels is getting me through it at the moment! It's reassuring to hear that others have experienced this too however smile.

KentuckyFriedChildren Tue 09-Oct-12 15:20:44

I am a stone and a half lighter now (32 wks) than I was 6 months ago. No real reason for it and baby is fine. With my first I lay on 4 st, second was in quick succession and I hadn't lost any of the baby weight and actually ended up another stone heavier. I havent changed my diet and I eat plenty of fat etc but for some reason I am losing weight. Not complaining of course, baby is fine and I was overweight anyway. It's still weird though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now