Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breech, back to back and anterior placenta

(8 Posts)
MrsJD4 Tue 09-Oct-12 12:37:18

Hi,

I feel a bit daft asking this question as this is my fourth baby but here goes. I'm 34 weeks and due to see the midwife on Thursday, we're having a boy and he's breech, back to back and I have an anterior placenta. I just wondered if there was anyone else that has experienced the same and what the outcome was? Most people either say that he'll turn between now and the due date or that I'll definitely be having a c section. I am reading lots about each thing but haven't come across a thread with all 3 as yet.
My other 3 babies were absolutely straight forward so this is why I need a little advice if you can help.
Thanks so much

Londonmrss Tue 09-Oct-12 13:22:52

From what I've read, baby is probably back to back because of the anterior placenta (they prefer to face the placenta- to avoid squashing their life support!). So could mean he'll stay that way, or will turn around before labour. With regards to being breech, that's probably your biggest issue and he's likely to turn by 37 weeks. If not, as you've had 3 babies before, they might be willing to try a vaginal breech birth depending on what sort of breech it is.
This is just based on what I've read- I don't have experience! Mine was back to back a few weeks ago and I think swimming breast stroke helped give her as much space as possible to turn.
Someone will come along and recommend this website: www.spinningbabies.com. It's an interesting and helpful site and the exercises are worth trying, although rather scientifically unverified.

Twotumsellie Tue 09-Oct-12 13:23:21

Not much help i know but i am also in the same possition as you at 36 weeks.

My baby is babck to back, breech and i also have anterior placenta.

I'm seeing my midwfie again next week and if baby hasn't moved by then she is going to refer me to the hospital for a scan to determin for certain the position.

they will then look at trying to do an ECV, however i can't see how they can turn the baby when she is buried so deep into my back.

My midwife has also said i can continue on to try to a VABC as this is my second baby, However i'm not so keen on this idea, labour is painful enough without adding back to back and bottom first into the equation!

I know there is still time for baby to move (she has been head down all through my PG until 2 weeks ago) but i'm getting a little anxious now.

MrsJD4 Tue 09-Oct-12 13:56:24

Thanks for the info., I'm not too keen on the idea of a vaginal breech birth to be honest. All of my babies have been a good size and that did enough to my backside without adding breech to the equation.
I've been told I have a lot of fluid too so I don't know if this makes it more difficult for him to turn.
Good job this is the last one I think!
Twotumsellie - you must let me know what happens with you and bump, hope it all goes as you wish.

NAR4 Tue 09-Oct-12 14:39:23

I haven't given birth to a breech baby myself but know several people who have, all without any problems. Two of them didn't even tear or need an epistomy.

Trying to turn babies manualy can be very painful and I think there is a fairly high chance of it being either unsuccessful or the baby turning itself back again after.

ThunderboltKid Tue 09-Oct-12 15:01:18

Mine was breech and back to back at 34 weeks and I have an anterior placenta. Followed all the advice to get him to turn (lots of all 4s, swimming etc) and by 36 weeks he was no longer breech or back to back. By 38 weeks he had gone back to back again and this time I didn't do anything. Am now 40 weeks and he is head down with his back against my belly - perfect smile

Now I just need him to stay that way til he comes out!

MrsJD4 Tue 09-Oct-12 17:52:20

Thanks NAR4, I wouldn't have done the manual turning thing as I don't like the sounds of it at all and even the pictures that are supposed to illustrate how it happens are really off-putting.

ThnuderboltKid, blimey! Well done you! I shall probably see the midwife on Thursday and find out he's somewhere altogether different but I'm sure I can feel a head under my ribs most of the time, have to wait and see. I hope your little one stays put for you.

MrsJD4 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:40:26

So, baby is now transverse and if he isn't in the right place at 36 weeks it's off for a scan. Just have to wait and see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now