Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nappy genie thing

(24 Posts)
chipsandmushypeas Tue 09-Oct-12 11:05:33

How are you going to dispose of nappies? I saw one of those nappy bin things that stores lots of dirty nappies and then you throw the whole thing out, are those worth it?

whattodoo Tue 09-Oct-12 11:09:07

We had one, but stopped using it.

The cartridges with the container bags are very pricey, and to be honest we found it just as easy to put the nappy in a nappy sack and take it to the bin next time we were going.

OhChristFENTON Tue 09-Oct-12 11:16:13

Depends, if you live in a flat/apartment where your bins are not easily accessible then yes, but if your bins are outside your back/front door then no, - why would you want to save them up indoors ? - just bag and bin as you go along.

tipp2chicago Tue 09-Oct-12 11:19:02

Diaper Champ is the answer to your problems. It uses any refuse sack at all, so no need for expensive cartridges. Excellent IME.

chipsandmushypeas Tue 09-Oct-12 11:25:29

I don't know, that's why I'm asking. Never had a baby before and thought everyone had these. So after every nappy I take the nappy in sack outside and put it in the wheelie bin?

hlipop Tue 09-Oct-12 11:26:55

no!! waste of time and money?? and surely they must smell awful when you open them to take to bin / put another in especially with a new-born!! =SS we leave wet one by the door for next person to leave to take to bin and dirty ones go straight out IYSWIM?

BikeRunSki Tue 09-Oct-12 11:28:37

What whattodo said, although I only use disposables at night, so only have 1 a day to get rid of.

hlipop Tue 09-Oct-12 11:29:37

you dont HAVE to have a nappy sack it can just go straight into bin!! it really depends what sort of house/flat you live in and who you've got to help - but i wouldn't spend out on one of these their a glorified lidded bin with a plastic bag in IMO

chipsandmushypeas Tue 09-Oct-12 11:37:08

It's easy for us to take it straight out as I'm on ground floor. Thanks for replies, won't invest in one, quite glad, don't need another sodding gadget to keep up with/refill

OhChristFENTON Tue 09-Oct-12 11:38:47

chips

What I used to do was this:-

I used to have a bucket just outside the back door ready lined with a tesco bag. Every poo nappy would be nappy-bagged (or double bagged depending on the severity of the pooiness wink ) and dropped in the bucket, just wet nappies would be rolled up and dropped in the bucket. At the end of the day I would bag up the tesco bag full of them and bung in the wheelie.

chipsandmushypeas Tue 09-Oct-12 11:49:20

Thanks Fenton. Maybe I'll buy a cheap little peddle bin and have one in the kitchen in case I can't go out for every poo nappy

susiegrapevine Tue 09-Oct-12 12:05:35

Yeah we just have a separate bin for our nappies and put each on in a sentented nappy sack. We have a toddler and a new born and tbh we don't take it out every day as it has a lid and does not smell cos of the nappy sacks and the lid. Its a small bin so when its full we take it out.

SpottyTeacakes Tue 09-Oct-12 12:10:42

We just put wet nappies straight into the kitchen bin. Poo-ey nappies go straight into the dustbin in a nappy sack unless it's raining in which case I just throw it on the doorstep for when dp gets home grin

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 13:56:55

I would say no need, they are a total gimmick an waste of money!

minipie Tue 09-Oct-12 14:21:45

We're getting one (probably the Tommee Tippee one) for DD's bedroom as our bedrooms are 2 flights of stairs upstairs from our main bin/outdoor bins.

I wouldn't spend £££ on it but at the moment the Angelcare one is £7.49 and the Tommee Tippee one is free if you join amazon family and buy some cartriges for it. It's true the cartridges are pricey but hopefully we won't get through many if we only use at night/when upstairs. I considered buying a normal lidded bin plus nappy sacks instead, but it wouldn't have cost much less.

milkyjo Tue 09-Oct-12 14:22:18

We had a lidded bucket, bought from an online camping shop for about £7, and put the nappies we changed upstairs in it, then the ones downstairs went straight in the wheelie (sometimes we have 3/4 sit outside the back door when its raining). Now DS is 22 months we just put his nappies straight in wheelie as a) they stink and b) there are only a max of 5 a day.

OhChristFENTON Tue 09-Oct-12 14:32:11

While we're on the subject of baby equipment, you really must get yourself one of these - it's an absolute must and not a gimmicky waste of money at all, oh no.

ZuleikaD Tue 09-Oct-12 14:41:30

If you use washables then it's not an issue at all.

philbee Tue 09-Oct-12 14:46:49

I didn't use nappy bags at home at all - lots of plastic and unnecessary imo. We had a small swing bin with a lid and I emptied it every few days. Perhaps we are pongy people! You can easily get led into making having a baby extremely wasteful and high consumption I think. I had nappy bags for when we were out and DD had a pooey one, as I thought it wasn't nice to put that in bins unbagged, but that was all.

tinyshinyanddon Tue 09-Oct-12 15:44:54

Five years on and I still wouldn't be without my "diaper"genie. I can get refills on amazon for 3.50 pounds and lasts about 3-4weeks. Has a spring loaded flap to push nappy through to bottom section so no smell problems. Hate when we visit parents who don't have one and deal with rubbish in quite a random fashion. Oh and dog can't get into it and also toddlers are kept away from smelly bits. Love love love mine!

chipsandmushypeas Tue 09-Oct-12 15:58:01

fenton grin loved the pfb gadget thread. I am a leetle worried about cold wipes on his little bottom blush

BionicEmu Tue 09-Oct-12 17:57:27

People always either love or hate nappy wrappers! Personally, I love mine and wouldn't be without it. Initially I just used a normal bin with a carrier bag, but hated that system so bought a cheap tommee tippee one. Am still using it nearly 2 years later. I do only twist it if DS has done a pooey nappy though, so I find a refill cassette lasts a v long time.

BionicEmu Tue 09-Oct-12 17:59:02

And if you're worried about cold wipes, if you have an autumn/winter baby then just keep the pack of wipes on a radiator wink

chipsandmushypeas Tue 09-Oct-12 18:16:22

Nice tip smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now