Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweep Worked????

(7 Posts)
HowDoIGetHimOut Tue 09-Oct-12 09:48:58

Hi,

I've never posted on here before but am keen to get ladies opinions.

I am 41+2 with a big baby and am booked in to be induced on Thursday.
I really want to have this baby (my first) completly naturally. Had a
sweep yesterday and have another one booked for tomorrow. However, the
doc said my cervix hadn't softened and she only managed to get a finger
tip in...has anyone had a succcessful all natural birth in this situation?

Many Thanks!!

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 09-Oct-12 10:22:23

You don't have to have an induction if you don't want one. My friend refused induction when she was 42+2 because she wanted a home birth. She felt ok and was confident that baby was moving normally but just felt she wasn't ready to be born yet. Her daughter arrived at 42+3 at home.

I was induced with ds1 and regret it now. There are lots of people who have had great inductions so I think it depends on how each ind. induction progresses, but mine was fast and I just wasn't physically, mentally or emotionally prepared.

This time Dc3 if I go overdue and I feel happy that everything is ok I'm going to request extra monitoring but refuse induction until such a time when it appears necessary rather than just because of an arbitrary time limit.

I hope the sweep does work but if you are unsure about induction I would discuss it and be prepared to stand your ground. When I was induced I laboured in hospital alone and I had really wanted to stay at home as long as possible and be around people to support me. I also ended up having a ventouse delivery and I think its because I just wasn't prepared. For me induction changed the whole nature of the birth I wanted (though the outcome was still fab and turning 6 at the end if this month grin).

Good luck.

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 15:24:31

I didn't have a sweep or need to be induced with DS1,
But with DS2 (30wks) there is already talk of inducing if needed,
On another post someone mentioned they had had a sweep and the MW had suggested that night she had sex too, as this helps!
Maybe worth a try! ;-)

HowDoIGetHimOut Tue 09-Oct-12 16:30:38

Oo okay, thank you...I shall try that!!

TurkeyDino Tue 09-Oct-12 16:33:09

Have sex. Anecdotal I know but I did the deed and less than 24 hours later; baby in arms after a 4 hour labour! Good luck

HowDoIGetHimOut Tue 09-Oct-12 16:38:26

Sex is definitely on the menu tonight then!!! Thank you!

whatsoever Tue 09-Oct-12 16:55:56

AlisonDB that was me!

Did as MW suggested, had sex last night after a sweep yesterday morning - absolutely nothing has happened! Disappointing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now