Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nap nanny- would you? Can't find any threads on it.

(14 Posts)
Wiggy29 Tue 09-Oct-12 09:20:06

DS had a tilted fabric rocker that he loved sleeping in (for naps, not overnight) and I think the angle really helped his reflux. I've saw the nap nanny www.napnanny.com/ raved about on blogs (mainly outside UK) and thought it might be something that would work for dc2. However, when I googled it to find UK stockists I came across things like this www.babycenter.com/204_nap-nanny-baby-recliners-recalled-after-childs-death_10336047.bc The issue seems to be incorrect use (using it in cots) but would you risk it? I wouldn't want to do anything that would put dc at risk. From what I can gather, all issues are linked to incorrect use which is, presumably, like using cot bumpers/ duvets etc for young babies- surely if you follow instructions it would be ok? confused

Searched on here but can't seem to find any threads on it.

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 10:08:02

Personally, I wouldn't!
It's not worth risking your babies safety for, besides that its very expensive!
I couldn't see it being much use after 5-6 months when baby is sitting up regardless of what the promotion material says.
Why don't you buy a cheaper option?
I have the mother care baby bouncer, as I didn't want chair or recliner with a fancy swing or vibrate option.

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Spot-Bouncing-Cradle/453182,default,pd.html?cm_sp=ProductFeatures-_-Category%2520landing-_-Mothercare%2520Spot%2520Bouncing%2520Cradle&q=Baby%20chair

I bought it when my son was born 5 years ago,
it had been recommended to me by a friend who also loved it,

And I'm a childminder and look after babies as young as 10 weeks old,
I have used this on several babies since my son was born, have never had an accident, or near miss, and the babies all sleep (naps only) very well in it.

Wiggy29 Tue 09-Oct-12 10:13:54

I already have a great bouncer type thing (it doesn't actually bounce, just rocks). It lies flat but in a hammock sort of way (hope that makes sense), it's ideal for naps but I was hoping for a solution for overnight (not that ds ever slept through till over a year but here's hoping). What I mean is, when ds was asleep in bouncer type thing I was always in room and awake. Are there any more upright options for overnight sleeping?

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 12:10:29

If you are thinking about the angle as such helping the reflux,
why not raise one end of the cot, so that 1 end is lifted off the floor and the other is on the floor.
I have done this for babies who have coughs and colds so I can't see why it wouldn't help with reflux.
This is usually corrected by the time baby is weaning anyway, and they will be rolling over and finding their own sleeping position anyway,

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 12:15:13

Hey Wiggy,
I just remembered these!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0026JKQP2

Would they work??

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 12:17:22

Sorry for some reason it didn't copy the entire link,
they are called bed blocks by Spacebabies

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0026JKQP2

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 12:21:56

Ok ignore the above links this should work,

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_168_10751_-1_14700_16359_10001_14053

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 12:23:31

[[http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_168_10751_-1_14700_16359_10001_14053]

So sorry baby brain mixed with lack of sleep and new phone makes for a very dozy me!

Wiggy29 Tue 09-Oct-12 12:26:35

Ohhhh, thank you Alison. I've saved this in my top bar- if the next little buba has reflux I'll defo invest in some of these. Do you think they could be used on a moses basket?

halloweeneyqueeney Tue 09-Oct-12 12:29:06

cot blocks are great for reflux and colds etc and are safe

I don't like the look of nap nannys as it looks like a car-seat position which you are not supposed to keep them in for prolongued periods

AlisonDB Tue 09-Oct-12 12:32:39

On the Amazon link someone commented re Moses basket but I can't remember what they said, but you could with the Moses basket prop it on some books or a thick piece of wood.

Wiggy29 Tue 09-Oct-12 12:41:46

Halloween- that's a good point about car seat position.

Alison- I'll have a look at comments- thanks.

imustbepatient Tue 09-Oct-12 16:01:16

You could also consider Amby Nature's Nest (google or look on amazon). They were withdrawn from sale in the States after incorrect assembly and use resulted in a very sad death but have been sold without incident for years around the rest of the world including the UK. They are believed to help with colic, reflux and babies who have trouble sleeping on their own. The position and movement is designed to replicate being cradled in your arms.

BionicEmu Tue 09-Oct-12 17:31:10

I can't get the links to open (am on my phone so can't c&p), but DS had bad reflux and I shoved a couple if phone books under his cot to incline it. If you think baby might prefer an incline, then you could always try that - aside from anything else, it's free! So if it doesn't help baby you've lost nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now