Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Coats

(19 Posts)
stickybean Mon 08-Oct-12 18:43:38

Does anyone have any recommendations for a very warm maternity coat? I need a really warm one as I live in the US and winters be at least minus 10 for weeks at a time, lots of snow etc. I also don't drive and walk everywhere. If it's not asking too much I would also like it to be nice!

Has anyone bought one from ASOS? There is a padded black on there that looks nice?

Thanks...

Discolite Mon 08-Oct-12 19:39:27

Have you thought of buying an ordinary coat in a large size, for example size 20? It should have enough room for the bump but you will have more choice in style.

mylittlemonkey Mon 08-Oct-12 19:42:20

I bought. Lovely wool coat from French connection that had a loose cape style fit and works great for pregnancy. As previous poster said I bought it a size up to allow for a bit extra room.

panicnotanymore Mon 08-Oct-12 19:54:02

I have just bought this - it's by far the best I've seen.
www.hm.com/gb/product/04079?article=04079-B

For those of you that size up on normal coats, aren't the shoulders etc then too big? Do you get them altered? Have considered getting a cheaper coat from asda for example to wear in pregnancy, but when I go up a couple of sizes the sleeves are too long and the shoulders look odd?

carrielou2007 Mon 08-Oct-12 20:33:53

I ordered that cost yesterday smile I was on H and M today (was at hospital 25 miles away so made the most of it) tried on black nice and warm and comfy but ordered it online with discounts got it for £25.14 delivered grin

I tried bigger coats before and if just doesn't work, huge where you don't wZnt it and not big enough where you do!! Got away with jumpers when expecting dd, with ds same but now have school run eZch day and we walk need to be warm z d dry pushing a buggy.

Discolite Mon 08-Oct-12 20:51:51

My sister has lent me a parka style coat she bought when she was over five stone heavier. As its a loose style anyway the shoulders and sleeves don't look odd but I can see that tailored styles may look odd.

Having said that, I really didn't want to spend lots of money on a garment I'd only wear for one winter, but I am tight!

Kelerina Tue 09-Oct-12 07:53:16

www.asos.com/ASOS-Maternity/ASOS-Maternity-Fit-And-Flare-Coat-With-Rib-Foldover-Collar/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2490834&cid=8346&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Black

I got this and really like it, quite cosy and lots of room to grow. ASOS are good too, free returns, quick delivery etc.

AliceHurled Tue 09-Oct-12 08:05:08

I've been pregnant over summer/early autumn so have just had an oversize coat as (in theory) I shouldn't have needed it much hmm. Wearing it makes me feel like a miserable blimp, and I'm not much of a fashionista at all, so I'd recommended getting a maternity one. I have a vague recollection of seeing a beautiful one on here, really warm and it converted to some baby carrying thing post pregnancy. Was pretty pricey and Canadian. Can't remember any more detail but it was def on here so a search might find it.

Moochicken Tue 09-Oct-12 08:22:44

I bought a longish quilted one on sale from Dorothy Perkins for about £35. It's really cosy and comfortable to wear.

LauraPalmerPlusOne Tue 09-Oct-12 08:34:26

Oooooh Kelerina I just ordered that coat from ASOS and so happy to read your good review!

I agree with others - I tried on a gazillion non-maternity coats and they just looked sad. I looked bigger everywhere I didn't want to look bigger!

I'm due in February, so as it balances out, I don't think £85.00 is too much to spend for a piece of clothing that I will wear every day for the next four months.

stickybean Tue 09-Oct-12 14:21:30

Thanks so much ladies. I love that H&M coat but I think I need something longer. The ASOS one looks good. With free delivery and returns I think I'll order a couple and check them out.

milkyjo Tue 09-Oct-12 14:28:07

I used my normal coats without buttoning them up and big long chunky scarves up until DS was born (December). This time I will have to cope through Jan, Feb and some of March so I am not sure about how warm I will be considering I didn't do much walking before DS was born, now we walk everywhere.

happygonicky Tue 09-Oct-12 15:18:14

I bought an ASOS maternity coat the other day and it's fab. Came really quickly too. Best to wear something you're going to feel nice in for the next few months. I also read somewhere that maternity coats can be useful if you're carrying the baby underneath in a sling. Worth considering? I'm due in Jan, but maternity coat will need to last until it gets warmer!

Kelerina Tue 09-Oct-12 18:15:40

LauraPalmerplusone I am also due in Feb although right at the end, the 28th so need that coat to see me right through winter!! It is fairly massive but has a tie under the bust so gives me a bit of shape, i'm reasonably curvy so anything which doesn't cinch in at the waist is not very flattering on me.......

It has plenty of room to grow into and is pretty long too with cosy sleeves. Should do the trick! Hope you like it!

panicnotanymore Tue 09-Oct-12 19:22:53

Snap Kelerina - same due date grin

theTramp Tue 09-Oct-12 21:16:59

Hey ladies there is lots of coat advice on the maternity clothes thread, which is in becoming a parent/pregnancy

Kelerina Tue 09-Oct-12 21:33:50

panicnotanymore due date buddy! Have you had your 20 week scan yet? Do you know/will you find out the sex? Is it your first?

theTramp Tue 09-Oct-12 21:39:55

20% off autumn essentials at Seraphine at mo, which would include coats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now