Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough jab and asthma

(7 Posts)
Doodlekitty Mon 08-Oct-12 10:06:41

Hi all
I'm 37+3 and have just made an appointment to get my jab tomorrow. However, my MIL has just told me that you can't have it if you have asthma. She's a bit funny about jabs in general (does not want dc to have any vacs. Has been told tough) so I'm not sure how true what she says is. Have checked dr google and can see there have been links in the past between this jab and asthma but nothing that convinces me.
Obviously I will ask before I have it done but was wondering if anyone had heard of this?

mummy2benji Mon 08-Oct-12 11:38:21

Nope and although I'm on mat leave now, I'm a GP. Asthmatics if anything are slightly more at risk of contracting any respiratory infections including whooping cough, so I would say it is even more important to have it done. Ask for your flu jab as well if you haven't had it yet - I'm 37+2 and I had both done last week. Whooping cough arm was a bit stiff for a couple of days!

Doodlekitty Mon 08-Oct-12 11:41:23

Thank you
I thought it made little sense, as I would have thought it would be more of an issue for asthmatics.

Unfortunately my surgery are not getting the flu jabs in until 3 days before my due date and I'm unsure about getting it that close.

MousyMouse Mon 08-Oct-12 11:42:20

no, as mummy says asthma is an additional risk factor for contracting whooping cough badly.
if you are in any case unsure you can ask to read the package leaflet before vaccination or ask at reception what vaccination it is so you can google the package leaflet.

and if you experience any side effects please report them to the MHRA yellow card scheme

MsElisaDay Mon 08-Oct-12 12:42:34

Your MIL obviously picked up the same info in the 80s that my own mother picked up!
She phoned me telling me not to have the whooping cough jab but, after talking with the midwife and doctor, decided that the latter were far more trustworthy sources of information...

I'm quite severely asthmatic but have had both the whooping cough and flu jabs. I was told that, if anything, it's more important for asthmatics to be immunised than anyone else. I'm 37+0 and had both done last week.

cakeandcava Mon 08-Oct-12 13:22:04

I'm asthmatic and pregnant, and I had both my whooping cough and flu jab last week. My GP clinic is very good with following up my asthma treatment. If anything, it's more important that you have these jabs if you're asthmatic.

Doodlekitty Mon 08-Oct-12 16:53:05

I knew mums net would not let me down. Thanks guys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now