Advanced search

calling all those that were induced with DC1, know about inductions????!!!!

(18 Posts)
AnneH656 Sun 07-Oct-12 15:44:47

..just wondered what the chances were of needing to be induced again with DC2? i am 11 days away from due date. been having a LOT of early labour signs and pains (period pains....tightening....snot in pants ooo lovely) but have got nowhere.

i am starting to worry about having to induced. DC1 took aaaaages and i completely blame being induced. nothing happened for a day and i managed to maintain 10cm dilation and labour for 2 days. oo it was fun! until recently i thought i was heading for a csection due to footling breech but now i am all focused on vag birth and starting to panic about being late.

any comforting thoughts re not needing a second inducing or quick labour would be jolly nice grin

carrielou2007 Sun 07-Oct-12 16:36:05

Here!! Induced with dd first gel on tues, fri am I refused to sign consent for c section and had her st last with help winkof forceps.

Dreading it with ds, had gel about 3.30pm, at 4.30pm I was goodness these are hurting a bit, at 6pm told I was 'only' 3cm but would be next down to labour ward, got down at 7.20 as found pushing on induction ward (midwife went white) in wheelchair no pants on being sick on a bowl, ds born 15 mind later face up like his sister.

Totally diff to dd I am hoping to reassure you though am also bound to post this in 6 months when I go over again and looking for reassurance!! Finally got gas and air after for my stitches!!

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 07-Oct-12 16:37:28

No-one NEEDS an induction purely for being overdue.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Sun 07-Oct-12 16:38:12

I had to have c/s with dc2 after a bad tear
following dc1 (induced, fast labour, ventouse delivery). So can't help on this aspect.

My friend, however, went 15 days over and REFUSED to be induced because she wanted a homebirth. She was still feeling lots of movement and the midwives stepped up her monitoring and on day 16 she had her daughter at home with a straightforward birth.

I suppose the point of my post is that ypu do not have to be induced if you don't want to and as long as everything is continuing well you could just wait for baby to come naturally?

I'll be interested to hear other opinions though as I am now pg with dc3 and am hoping for a non-induced vbac.

RandomMess Sun 07-Oct-12 16:38:43

I've had 4 dc and all were induced - longest I waited was 17 days, I just have long pregnancies. The first induction was by far the most painful and difficult and looooong - was days!

BreconBeBuggered Sun 07-Oct-12 16:43:37

DS1 was induced, 14 days past his due date and against my wishes as I felt labour was beginning (but I hadn't slept for weeks and didn't have the strength to argue). I was given a date to induce DS2 because of health problems, but in fact he arrived spontaneously on his due date. A 5-hour labour as opposed to 21 hours of strong contractions following the induction.

carrielou2007 Sun 07-Oct-12 16:52:48

We had a thread a week or so about going overdue and I seemed to be in the minority that I wanted to be induced. Anyone who wants to wait, fine that's their own wish for me I would not wait any longer than the hospital max. Just my own wishes my body makes amazing children just needs a little help to get them out.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 07-Oct-12 17:23:23

My induction - with ds1 - was absolutely fine. 2 weeks early (had Pre-eclampsia), 1 dose of gel, labour started soon after, baby arrived 5 hours later.

YerMaw1989 Sun 07-Oct-12 17:36:33

I had this too I asked about being induced as I was left 42 + weeks with DC1

they said unless theres something wrong they leave I was like *pfft oh well.

I am however having a sweep on my due date bascially getting the ball rolling more this time.

PacificDogwood Sun 07-Oct-12 17:41:19

I was induced with DS1, then had emCS with DS (unrelated issue), then had VBAC x2 which were a very good experience.

Having my time again, I would decline induction, even though I was T+15 at the time grin. Babies come when they are ready. The relative risk of still birth rises after 42-43 weeks; the absolute risk is still small.

I had membrane sweeps once overdue with DSs3 and 4, stayed very active (pushing preschooler learning to ride his bike without stabilisers at T+10), took raspbery leaf tea capsules, had acupuncture, did lots of hip rocking, sat on swiss ball etc etc. No idea whether any of this made a difference, but I coped with labour a lot better when not induced/aumented/epiduraled, although my induced labour and delivery was an ok experience too.

Good luck!

blueberryboybait Sun 07-Oct-12 17:43:25

DD1 induced at 40+5 - relatively straight forward delivery, DD2 arrived day before due date with little warning - 48mins from 1st contraction to baby.

AnneH656 Sun 07-Oct-12 19:39:46

carrielou thank you so much - that really did make me feel better smile Def reassured me that even if i do go for another induction that it can be super quick!

although even better to read those of you that didnt need inducing - blueberry

really interesting to read those of you that have refused induction. i think this time i would request at least waiting til + 14. when i had DD i went in at + 10. i still think the dates were off and thats why she wouldnt budge. she was born completely gloop free and normal 7lb 5. although i was ten years younger (22) and would have dressed up as a banana if the MW had told me to. this time i think i can make more informed choices and of course i am more stubborn with age grin

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 07-Oct-12 19:43:49

I was induced at 42+5 with ds1, but ds2 arrived on his edd. I'd not had any signs that his arrival was imminent until my waters went 14 hours before he was born.

Good luck op!

PacificDogwood Sun 07-Oct-12 20:22:40

Waiting til 42 weeks is standard practice, non?

I refused induction with DS1 on T+14 because I thought things were happening, but caved the following day. I am sure he was not far from coming anyway, as my induction was so straight forward.

Age related stubborness is a Good Thing grin.

PacificDogwood Sun 07-Oct-12 20:23:39

Oh, just another thought, you can request 'expectant management' after 42 weeks which involves daily CTGs at the hospital to check on the baby's well being. Just another thought...

PacificDogwood Sun 07-Oct-12 20:24:20

Agerelated repeating onself OTOH is a Bad Thing... blush<slinks off>

blueberryboybait Sun 07-Oct-12 20:30:22

Anne - my induction was only 7 hours start to finish and I wasn't hanging around until 42weeks so when they offered I accepted.

tinyshinyanddon Mon 08-Oct-12 03:42:33

I was induced with DC1 a little before my due date because baby measured small and my OB told me this was because the placenta was not functioning properly (after functioning perfectly well all though the pregnancy). I was determined not to have an induction with DC2 as birth of DC1 was not a great experience. I WAS successful but was put under A LOT of pressure to be induced again (this time because my amniotic fluid level was on the low side). It had been 97 degrees all week, I went home, drank a ton of water, had a scan the next day, fluid level normal but had to sign a bunch of AMA forms to leave the office (they still wanted to induce). I finally delivered spontaneously at 41w, a lot of my success due to finding one OB in the practice that was prepared to leave me alone. He told me after the fact that he could have been sued for malpractice. Crazy. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now