Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How many days after conception should you wait to take a pregnancy test??

(11 Posts)
MammaMo Sun 07-Oct-12 15:12:25

Hi, We did the deed 7 days ago and I really want to take a pregnancy test but know it is still too early for a positive test.
When is the earliest anyone has taken a test and got a positive?

NimChimpsky Sun 07-Oct-12 15:15:45

I always test positive from about 9 days post ovulation but then I already know I'm pregnant by that point.

For a good answer either way, you should wait at least 2 weeks. The other thing is that sperm can live for a few days inside you. So while you may have had sex 7 days ago, you might only have conceived at the point of ovulation 4 days later. So you're only 3 days post conception in that scenario. I'd give it at least a week tbh.

aufaniae Sun 07-Oct-12 15:25:34

Ah, I didn't manage the 2 week wait! I got a very faint line at about 9 or 10 days. Did another the following day, still very faint indeed. Did an early response test the same day and got a clear line smile

HaveALittleFaith Sun 07-Oct-12 15:31:56

Ideally at least two weeks. You don't necessarily get pregnant the day of the sex, those swimmers can hang around fit a few days! I got my BFP 15 days after the sex that I assume got me pregnant.

Early testing can be heartbreaking! Even if you got a BFP now you would be on tenterhooks until the time AF was due wondering if it was right. If its a negative, you wouldn't know if its just too soon to get a positive! Sit on those hands! smile

MammaMo Sun 07-Oct-12 23:32:26

I am currently sitting on my hands smile and wishing the days away

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 08-Oct-12 09:10:05

Anywhere between 10 days and 2 weeks. By 10 days some women are already showing the hormone in their urine enough to make a test positive, by 2 weeks, most women have a positive test. Some women it can take up to 4-6 weeks post conception, and some women will never get a positive test as their bodies don't excrete the hormone in the form recognised by the test. That's very Rare though.

MammaMo Thu 11-Oct-12 09:00:02

Hi I took a test this morning and it came out negative was it too early?

HaveALittleFaith Thu 11-Oct-12 09:15:07

How long since you dtd? 11 days? Probably a bit too early still smile

cupcake78 Thu 11-Oct-12 09:20:07

Wait as long as you can. It's so hard though but early testing can mean if your period comes you wish you'd never known. I've tested 2 days before AF date and got positive tests before.

I am playing the waiting game very impatiently, I had symptoms but they're going now so don't think this one has stuck.

LauraPalmerPlusOne Thu 11-Oct-12 09:32:32

I got my BFP 12 days past doing the deed...try testing tomorrow morning. wink

<waves at Faife>

HaveALittleFaith Thu 11-Oct-12 09:35:41

<waves at lp>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: