Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby weight estimates from scans.

(7 Posts)
HoneyMum21 Sun 07-Oct-12 11:37:32

I know that the expected weights given from scans are notoriously unreliable - i've heard of many that have greatly underestimated on what the baby ends up weighing. I'm just wondering if they ever overestimate and baby ends up weighing less or being smaller than has been suggested at a scan?

mom2rhysnruby Sun 07-Oct-12 12:57:12

2 days before i had my son they estimated his weight as 7lb9oz, he was 6lb8 born.
This time around, she aparently weighed 5lb at 34 weeks and 5lb14 at 36 weeks. Will be very intruiged to see this outcome as they have estimated her birth weight as over 8lb.

Chigley1 Sun 07-Oct-12 13:07:18

I was told that my first baby was at least 9lbs (which terrifed me as I'm very small!), but he was actually 7lb 12 when he was born. So yes, they do overestimate sometimes!

They said DD was going to be well over 10lb. A huge baby.

She was 9lb2oz.

bonzo77 Sun 07-Oct-12 13:11:17

Notoriously inaccurate. But if you are having sequential growth scans they can be useful for detecting slow or too-rapid growth.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 07-Oct-12 13:36:00

My giant babies (predicted as 9lb plus) turned out to be 6lb 8oz and 7lb.

SecretCermonials Sun 07-Oct-12 13:39:27

DS was "definitely going to be a 9lb-er" he was 7lb 3.5 oz and had no clothes that fit him at birth as id bought 0-3 he looked a raggamuffin until nanny came with clothes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now