Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

use of solpadeine in pregnancy

(19 Posts)
lionlion Sat 06-Oct-12 21:26:14

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I suffered migraines and was prescribed 30mg codeine. Now in my 2nd pregnancy, I've still been suffering, so have been taking solpadeine otc (paracetamol and codeine), sometimes 2 or 3 a day. I don't know whether that's ok, and am worried about harming my baby. Any advice, anything to sttop me worrying...

TalTangerine Sat 06-Oct-12 21:51:16

I suffer from chronic pain and asked my doc about this. She said it is OK to have some codeine, but that the thinking it it can cause difficulty for the baby if you take it near the time of childbirth. She said it was fine for early on. But if you ask your GP next time you go they can look it up for you and give you a bit more info.

lionlion Sat 06-Oct-12 22:12:13

Thank you - I really appreciate response. I think I was too scared to ask doc, which is madness I know, hence asking a bit anonymously here... I was worried doc would think I was putting baby at risk for my own (selfish) pain relief.

HaveALittleFaith Sat 06-Oct-12 23:00:25

I'm on 30mg codiene 4 times a day for chronic pain. If paracetamol doesn't cut it, codiene really is the pregnant lady's only choice as a step up! I've discussed it with my GP and as long as you manage the constipation it's ok. Be careful though - it is addictive and you can find you get into a vicious cycle where withdrawal gives you a headache. Try not to take it all the time if you can help it.

lionlion Sun 07-Oct-12 17:55:04

Thank you, have a little faith - I am aware that its addictive and rebound heads but hope I don't take enough for that. It is the only thing that deals with pain - and get me to work, looks after daughter etc! Have you had previous pregnancies using codeine and has everything been ok?

HaveALittleFaith Sun 07-Oct-12 18:38:01

No this is my first pregnancy - I only started with this pain in March so it's all new to me (I was meant to have an OP to fix it but I got pregnant in the mean time!). I've tried to cut down the painkillers a bit but I really can't do without them confused I have no idea what I'll do when I get to my last trimester!

AnitaBlake Sun 07-Oct-12 18:49:50

My consultant suggested codiene to me to help with headaches if paracetamol wasn't cutting it and I'm third trimester now. I'm using them sparingly but its definitely ok to take.

lionlion Sun 07-Oct-12 19:31:02

Thank you thank you! It has really helped put one (of many!) Worries a little to one side... What other ones will fill that space! (Ha, ha).

lionlion Sun 07-Oct-12 19:32:15

How far along are u little faith? Have you used in 1st trimester (sorry to hear about your pain by the way...).

HaveALittleFaith Sun 07-Oct-12 20:13:22

I'm 11 weeks now. I spoke to my GP who said paracetamol and codiene were really the only options - paracetamol just doesn't cut it!
I have really struggled with constipation but probiotics and lactulose have helped that settle!

kellestar Sun 07-Oct-12 20:31:21

I took solpadol in my last pg [dd is 21 months] I had SPD from 16 weeks and was off work and on light duties from 22 weeks. I'd also broken 2 wisdom teeth. The solpadol was codiene plus paracetemol and helped me to sleep and then once DD arrived I took it to help with the dental pain until I could have my teeth out [6 weeks].

DD did not suffer at all from me taking it. I was taking it from 20 weeks. I did try to take it as little as possible, but when you are in pain it aint worth suffering.

lionlion Sun 07-Oct-12 20:57:04

That's really reassuring, thank you.

elizaregina Sun 07-Oct-12 22:33:56

IN MY FIRST tri - i have three vicous days of horrendous migrane - sickness from that and morning sickness i was a total mess.

i was given co codamol, then co dyramol, and something else - but taking the dose every day for three days did nothing.

in the end i had to try tramadol, i had one - and in 20 mins the pain was gone.

i have been fine until last week when again got vicous migrane - tried paracetomol, then two co dyramol.

in end went to docs - its hard to pin them down on why they dont want to prescribe and i think they view it in terms of taking a numver of tablets and could present baby with addiction issues - and also sleeyness...if have taken something strong and you suddenly go into labour.

i asked if it was better to have one tramadol - or days of the other stuff and he seemed to say yes - one tram would be better...

anyway - he prescribed that for me and even said - 2 at a time - 3 times a day which... I WOULD NOT TAKE.

i was scared to take one - and in the end - over two day period had two and i was fine.

i am worried too - but for me - would rather take one thing once than other things lots...

and i have to be able to function have another Dc to look after.

then i think oif babies that survive with mothers abusing drugs, drikning smoking etc...

elizaregina Sun 07-Oct-12 22:35:07

personallly i really dont like co deine or those types of things - they did nothing for my pain...

mustbetimetochange Sun 07-Oct-12 22:39:08

I cant say medically, but I have 3 DCs and a bump and take soluable solbadine for migraines, but only 1 instead of 2, I cannot afford to be laid up with the headaches.

They work and all my DCs are healthy,

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 08-Oct-12 09:13:16

I've taken ibuprofen and 30mg codeine on medical advice in all 3 pregnancies. The ibuprofen is occasional use only in the second trimester only, but as far as I'm aware codeine under medical advice is safe throughout except late in the 3rd tri when if taken close to delivery it can suppress breathing in newborns and make them sleepy.

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 08-Oct-12 09:14:49

That's only the 30mg codeine btw, the OTC stuff is generally ok. And for the record, you wanting pain relief isnt selfish, whilst you do have to consider baby's safety, don't forget you are a person too and have needs!

lionlion Mon 08-Oct-12 13:47:28

This is the first time I've posted on mumsnet, and I have to say, I appreciate the lack of judgement and compassion - thank you all who have responded. I was starting to feel really low about this issue, and feel much better now.

AnitaBlake Wed 10-Oct-12 17:55:15

The problem with the vast majority of drugs is quite simply that it is highly unethical to test on expectant and nursing mothers. As a result the medical profession had lots of ideas and very little proof of what happens to developing babies as a result of giving women most drugs in these circumstances. Obviously this is the lesser of two evils!

Every decision to prescribe even over the counter drugs carries personal responsibility that can't be mitigated or signed away by the patient, nor would they want it to be. Its a catch-22, can't find out what happens without giving the drugs but can't give out the drugs unless they know what happens.

Its frustrating for both sides and a risk assessment has to be carried out to balance the health of the mother with potential effects on baby.

This is how I ended up with anti-sickness tablets despite being pregnant and breastfeeding (I'm a one-woman study lol), but I was also severely dehydrated and on the brink of hospitalisation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now