Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Having shoulder pain, not sure if i should see a doctor.

(7 Posts)
12ylnon Sat 06-Oct-12 17:16:47

I'm currently 5+6. Since Thursday i've been experiencing pain in my left shoulder. It's achey, and in the muscle between my neck and the joint at the top of my arm. It comes and goes. Tiredness and sickness also started then too- deepest joy!
I've had cramps throughout my pg, not severe at all, like mild period pains. I've had no spotting at all and i don't feel dizzy. Since about the same time at the shoulder pain started, i've noticed really mild aches on my left, almost in my hip.
I'm really worried about eptopic pg, but at the same time, i feel like i'm probably just overreacting and having a panic over nothing.
My first midwife appointment is next sunday, but i'm wondering wether i should see a doctor/ speak to a midwife before then.
What should i do!?

janiewoozle Sat 06-Oct-12 17:32:05

hi there, sorry to hear you are uncomfortable. i had experienced this (when i wasn't pregnant) and then realised it was to do with indigestion / constipation (sorry TMI!).

regarding the pain in your hip, when i was pregnant, i had exactly the same pain and mentioned it to my doc when i registered my pregnancy. she sent me to have an early scan just to rule out ectopic pg but actually i had a urinary tract infection (i was about 6 wks pg as well). it cleared up after a course of antibiotics.

may well be worthwhile getting it checked out to put your mind at rest. x

TheAngelshavetheOod Sat 06-Oct-12 17:39:32

Shoulder pain can be referred pain from stomach problems including ectopic pregnancy. If yoube not had an injury it Might be worth checking out unless you've already been scanned.

CelineMcBean Sat 06-Oct-12 17:50:29

Get checked out now. Bad case scenario is ectopic pregnancy. Worse is ruptured ectopic pregnancy.

If it turns out to be nothing that's great but so not worth the risk. Give your local maternity hospital a call now.

Fingers crossed it's wind smile

Londonmrss Sat 06-Oct-12 19:38:13

If you go to your doctor or midwife with these symptoms, they will send you straight to a and e- I know - that's what happened with me. Most likely everything is fine, but they will want to do an internal scan to make sure. Everything was fine with me and I certainly felt reassured.
So just skip the doctor and go to a and e now.

Marrow Sat 06-Oct-12 20:00:55

I am not a medical professional but have had two ectopic pregnancies. I don't think that it is necessary for you to go to A+E. Shoulder tip pain can be pain caused by internal bleeding irritating the diaphragm. However it would be very unusual for you to experience this and not have any other symptoms. Other symptoms can be bleeding/spotting, dizziness, fainting, rectal pressure and diarrhoea.

If you start to experience any other symptoms then I would seek medical attention. However if not I would just keep your eye on things and if still concerned check with your GP. If you went to A+E now all they would probably do is a beta HCG test and repeat it in 48 hours. Hope things go well for you.

janiewoozle Sun 07-Oct-12 21:43:11

Ho OP
how are you feeling today? did you manage to get see a doctor at all?
hope you are ok x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now