Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm blaming the hormones

(5 Posts)
Doodlekitty Sat 06-Oct-12 13:58:43

Putting this here as I accept iabu but still need to rant. I'm 37 weeks pregnant. Started maternity leave last Monday.

When I first got pregnant we asked PIL's if they would help us to decorate baby's room. Which would also mean helping us decorate spare room which would become hubby's office.

They agreed and I am very grateful that they are helping us. But bloody hell if they don't get out of my house soon im going to have to kill them.

Study took 2 weeks (they did it while we were at work mostly, again I'm very grateful) just to do gloss paint, ceiling and wallpaper. They used a million Tina of paint in what is a tiny room (desk + bookcase= full). We have NO money but they insist on only the best paint etc and I think they must drink the stuff.

Baby's room took 3 weeks for the same (but bigger room).

Then they decided they would do my living room too (again, very grateful and I'm not having to lift a finger). It is not a big room. We are currently on week 4 with at least another week looming. They come, they spend 5 hours doing jobs that would take a normal person 30 mins, constantly bicker and then leave with everything they have ever touched out of place. Been here since 10 today and they have put up a curtain rail and a cat scratch post and that's it. I could cry. I want some time with my husband before baby comes. I have no money to keep funding this and even though we say that they just don't get it. I'm round the fucking twist and sick of tidying. I want my house back but I can't say that because they are being do damned helpful.

I blame the hormones.

flutterbynight Sat 06-Oct-12 16:35:00

Ah, don't be hard on yourself Doodlekitty I think it's really difficult to have your space taken over when you're pregnant, especially over such a long period of time! As you say, it's lovely that they're doing this to help and are clearly putting a lot of effort in. That doesn't mean you should feel bad for finding it stressful with things out of place and escalating costs, which would be hard to deal with at the best of times, let alone when pregnant - though I agree that you can't really say any of this to them as they are being helpful and it sounds like they've been very generous with their time. Maybe try to focus on the end result and the fact that you won't have to do any decorating for a few years smile

CakeBump Sat 06-Oct-12 17:22:25

Mine are just the same!!

I'm 29 weeks and this is their first grandchild. They are so excited, and so lovely and helpful but they FAFF and are INEFFECTIVE and CREATE MORE MESS THAN WHEN THEY STARTED and it drives me nuts!!!!

After the last time they came I finally put my foot down with DH and he (small victory) stopped them from coming over again today to "help out".

My God, I'm, grateful, but it's exhausting!!

I know you didn't ask, but YANBU!

Agree with flutter, focus on the end result and definitely discourage them from doing anything else....

cupcake78 Sat 06-Oct-12 17:29:25

My pil are just as helpful! They are really good at shuffling stuff, taking forever to do the simplest of jobs and are so unorganised.

But damn they are so blinking helpfulangry

Doodlekitty Sat 06-Oct-12 17:34:05

Oh thank god. Thank you. I really thought I was being horrific! They left at 2.30 and are coming back tomorrow. They think it might be finished by Tuesday.
My mam has offered to take me out for the day with the dogs on Monday so I can chill out a bit.

My hormones are all wrong today, spent a lot of the day crying over one thing or another and am crippled with what feels like period pain. Oh woe is me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now