Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough jab if you've had Diptheria or tetanus jabs recently?

(13 Posts)
halloweeneyqueeney Sat 06-Oct-12 12:47:54

I'm pretty sure I'm still within cover for those two, does it make a difference?

Thumbwitch Sat 06-Oct-12 12:54:06

Don't you still have the jab as the DTP? (diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough) I.e. it's all in one? I was under the impression that the whooping cough jab that was being given was the same one that is given in the baby schedule, so should be the DTP, shouldn't it?

I don't think it will matter - but if you've had jabs for Diphtheria and tetanus recently, were you not given the triple vaccine, Repevax?

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 06-Oct-12 13:03:13

I don't think so, it would have been at a travel clinic or at occy health

ThunderboltKid Sat 06-Oct-12 13:11:41

I had Dip & Tet as part of travel vaccinations a couple of years ago and it didn't include WC (checked my record this morning!). I asked nurse about doubling up again and she said it was fine.

Thumbwitch Sat 06-Oct-12 13:13:01

www.nhs.uk/Planners/vaccinations/Pages/Thevaccines.aspx Scroll down to the bit about diphtheria.

If you had a diphtheria booster, even for travel, it looks like you were given the DTP. You can check with whoever administered it but you could already be covered for whooping cough as well.

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 06-Oct-12 13:14:18

right have dug out my travel vac cards

never had the triple ever (had HC as a young child)
had stand alone tetanus jabs in a & E a couple of times as a kid then a joint diphtheria/tetanus one for travel more recently, but actually my cover has JUST finished from that one.. sorry!

Thumbwitch Sat 06-Oct-12 13:14:31

Xposted with thunderboltkid - check with whomever provided your vaccine then.

Thumbwitch Sat 06-Oct-12 13:15:25

Xposted again! Ah there you go - sorted then, just have the Repevax. smile

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 06-Oct-12 13:16:33

sorry blush I genuinely though it was only a few years ago but it was TEN! shock I'm obviously getting old if 10 years feels like 2 or 3 blush

Thumbwitch Sat 06-Oct-12 13:20:49

I know that feeling, Halloweeney! grin

DangerMousey Sat 06-Oct-12 13:43:56

I had the combined tetanus, diphtheria, polio and whopping cough jab last year when I went on holiday to Thailand. However at my MW appointment this week she decided to give it to me again anyway "to be on the safe side" - cos obviously I wasn't preggo last year when I had the travel vaccine.

She seemed to think that you had to actually be pregnant when you have it, in order for the protection to cross the placenta to the baby. Well, I say that: to be honest it was more like she wasnt sure, so she asked a passing GP who said it couldn't do any harm to have it again!

So I had it. And the flu jab in the other arm.

ThreeWheelsGood Sun 07-Oct-12 07:52:33

I'm surprised at that DangerMousey - I was sure I'd heard/read you aren't meant to have the tetanus jab more often than once every ten years as it'd give you lockjaw! I had the quadruple jab 6 years ago, booked to have whooping cough jab this week (presumably includes tetanus) so was planning to ask nurse's advice... tough balancing it out.

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 07-Oct-12 08:59:10

three wheels is right, I had it twice in 10 years as a kid/teen on admission to a&e and there was a bit of an uproar about the double dose

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now