Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else get this?

(13 Posts)
SecretCermonials Sat 06-Oct-12 10:14:03

Im 27 weeks today with DS2, its been a busy few months with a very unsuccessful family holiday, planning for our wedding in may, DS1s birthday, christmas, work etc and ive noticed that ive not really sat and thought as much about the baby this time ( i obsessed with DS1), dont get me wrong DS2 already has a decorated furnished bedroom full of clothes, toys etc, and a crib, but little things - we arent buying his cot until he needs it and we arent buying his trvel system until
End of dec (both of these due to money really) make me marvel about how different things are this time.

I wouldnt say thats a bad thing but its led me to notice the following positives:
- Im not as worried as long as I feel him a bit in a day
- I get random waves of like pure excitement?! Like it suddenly occurs to me that in 12 weeks (ELCS) we will have a lovely new born and i just feel elated for few mins.

Just wondered if i am the only one?!

SecretCermonials Sat 06-Oct-12 11:40:57

Just me then blush

BionicEmu Sat 06-Oct-12 11:44:37

I'm now 23 weeks pregnant with DC2 and I think I know what you mean. TBH I find myself having to actually think about how far along I am, whereas with DC1 I could've automatically told you how many weeks and days along I was!

Don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed about having DC2, but I am a bit more relaxed this time.

You're way ahead of me though, haven't sorted out the nursery yet at all. Am just figuring all I really need to buy are nappies as will reuse everything else from DC1.

I went into labour with DC1 7 weeks early though, so really should be more prepared by now! Although as we weren't expecting DC1 to come when he did we didn't really have anything ready, so I guess I just figure all we need are clothes, nappies and somewhere to sleep!

SecretCermonials Sat 06-Oct-12 12:10:40

Glad its not just me! I have to think about weeks and days and even have to look at my calendar sometimes, defo didnt with DS1.

We are trying to reuse a lot (although DS cot frame got brokenblush) Currently trying to find which "safe place" we have put DS' bottles and if we kept the teats to try and save a fortune!

Glad it isn't just me, I enjoyed doing the room (altho we didn't actually redecorate as such just put together some furniture and a rug down haha) but the other stuff is giving me a headache atm!

BionicEmu Sat 06-Oct-12 12:34:00

Ah, we're lazy so DS's old stuff is still in the spare room! Although the pile of boxes is quite magnificent, as there's DS's old stuff and the contents of our old study all packed up in there.

I think if it was just a case of furniture etc, the nursery would be well under way by now. But as it is, we're having builders in next month to split the spare room into 2 rooms. Well, they're knocking the extra door through from the hallway, then we'll have to build a wall, put a new radiator in and decorate. Don't think it'll be done before DC2 comes along though sad

SecretCermonials Sat 06-Oct-12 13:26:39

Eek building work! We had to clear alot of crap out if the room altho its now in the shedblush

bonzo77 Sat 06-Oct-12 13:37:02

Yup. Also 27 weeks with ds2! Spent more time and money on getting new big boy things for DS. New baby will be getting all hand me downs, but DS is quite excited about his new room, bed and bizarrely soft furnishings! hmm

SecretCermonials Sat 06-Oct-12 13:52:12

DS loves his own room but thinks DS2s toys are amazing haha he talks of baby but is currently more interested in his birthday party next week grin

BabyBellasMumma Sat 06-Oct-12 16:28:03

Hi Secret I could have written your post! I am 27 weeks with DC2 but am in no way as prepared as I was for DC1! I have been really busy aswell, planning our wedding which is 1st June, planning our little girls 3rd birthday party etc etc. Whenever people ask how far along I am I always have to really think about it! Not like with my daughter when I always knew exactly how many weeks and days I was!
Babys room is not ready at all either. We have still got to have it plastered, painted and lay new carpets before we can buy nursery furniture! Luckily we still have DDs old cot and crib so only really need to buy wardrobe etc but I feel like I cant really get organised until we have a space to put it all in!
A couple of times a day I kinda remember im having a baby and feel all excited and then I panic about how much we have left to do! My dd was born 3 weeks before her due date so I should be more prepared really! blush

SecretCermonials Sun 07-Oct-12 17:53:16

Baby bellas eek thats scary how similar things are! We are 4th may for our wedding, main things are sorted i think - venues dress DJ cake photographer but i still feel there is loads to do! DS' bday party is a week today and other than the food shopping we've pretty much sorted that! DS has appointments coming up and between his bits and my many millions of appointments I wonder how much thought I give bump, then he gives me a good kick wink haha

The room hasnt been done long but had so much to wash i was getting impatient, at the moment i keep wandering in and of of it!

I still have quite a bit to do, i've gotta dye the muslins as i decided that would be a good idea! And ive decided to shampoo every carpet in the house! And settle DS into his new preschool... I will stop thinking of it all or the list will just grow grin

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 07-Oct-12 18:01:10

I'm 27 weeks too and am similar

have most things but ONLY because we are on a very tight budget this time and have had to hunt for the cheapest second hand stuff so that isn't something you can do at last min

other than that... I've read NOTHING! I read loads of pregnancy and parenting books last time, and had a list of parenting books I thought I'ld read this time but haven't even bought/borrowed one

I forget how many weeks I am all the time, if people ask I have to look on my phone app, with no1 I knew how many weeks AND DAYS I was at all times!

Yet somehow it seems to be going slower this time??????

I get really excited when I suddenly realise it's close, or remember that I'm pregnant at all blush

I'm a bit of the opposite. An a bit more stressed as I had a miscarriage before conceiving this time, but am relaxed now am getting to the end of the first trimester. However I think knowing all the things that can go wrong is making me worry inwardly. I had a (fairly) easy time with ds that I think I can't be so lucky this time. An dreading my scan for example as I an convinced there will be something wrong with baby or something, know I'm being slightly irrational but genuinely don't think I will be able to relax til I meet my baby, in about, er, 28 weeks blush

I would enjoy the relaxed feelings op, as you haven't got the stress of getting things ready like you do with first dc etc. enjoy being pregnant!

SecretCermonials Sun 07-Oct-12 19:19:54

halloweeney that all sounds familiar! We too are also budgeting, and working out what we really want new what we need and when etc! We aren't buying it until we need it this time.
cheese i had a MC a year before this dc was conceived, i've had 8 (2 private 6 NHS) scans so far in this pg. and each time I've dreaded that there would be a problem / nothing there! Its easier now I'm feeling him but a friend had a very traumatic birth with her second where the DC nearly died, left with brain damage, which seems to of introduced a new dimension to my worrying!

Its definitely a separate and difference experience with a second

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now