Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleeping positions

(17 Posts)
datingthedevil Sat 06-Oct-12 00:19:14

Hi all, I vaguely remember reading something about sleeping positions in pregnancy.

Pls could someone remind me of the rules/guidelines?

Thank you xxx

Wheels79 Sat 06-Oct-12 05:15:28

On side. Ideally left. Not back from second trimester. Not front obvs. Upper body raised to combat acid reflux.

cupcake78 Sat 06-Oct-12 06:11:44

Get a pregnancy sleep pillow. They make the world of difference.

ivanapoo Sat 06-Oct-12 08:33:09

Sleeping on right gives me heartburn, sleeping on left does not

I stupidly read something about left side sleeping before I was pregnant but didnt check the details so have been doing it from 6 weeks... Now 30 weeks and wish I'd spent longer on my back/right/front!

mummy2benji Sat 06-Oct-12 20:01:54

Sleeping on my right side makes my heartburn worse too - it is related to the position of the stomach. I cannot wait till I can sleep on my back or front again - 37 weeks now and suffering with hip pain from lying on my side all the time. Helped a bit by one of those squishy sausage-shaped travel cushions that you can only get in motorway service stations. I find it really comfy squashed slightly under my bump to support it. Last pregnancy I used one between my knees too. One tip - don't have the whooping cough and flu jabs on the same day as I did last week... one in each shoulder meant that no position in bed was comfortable for a couple of nights!

DeathMetalMum Sat 06-Oct-12 20:15:57

Its supposed to be left side not sure from when though. I keep waking up finding myself on my front at the moment and being very comfy that way. I dont have much of a bump yet only 16 weeks. Im sure it will stop being comfy in the next few weeks.

javotte Sat 06-Oct-12 21:23:30

DeathMetalMum I am 39 weeks with a huge bump and I still feel more comfortable on my front grin

tigercametotea Sat 06-Oct-12 21:27:09

Sleep on side. Never on back especially when you are in 2nd or 3rd trimester - all that baby weight will press on your nerves and blood vessels on your back and give you a bad back... I read this on Practical Parenting magazine some months ago... though already had all my babies and knew from experience not to sleep on back when pregnant in 2nd/3rd trimester

DeathMetalMum Sat 06-Oct-12 21:32:53

Javotte Is it even possible for you to sleep on your front? I would have had to have been on my knees for that to happen last time!

plannedshock Sat 06-Oct-12 21:40:37

When do you have to stop sleeping on your front?

AlisonDB Sat 06-Oct-12 22:32:01

Im usually a front sleeper and talking to my MW i explained that sometimes i find myself waking in this position.
She basically said that the only no no was sleeping on your back, from about 13 wks on,
Prefered sleep positions apparently are Left side, right side, front,
I tried to sleep with a maternity pillow big ling thing, found it very awkward,
Now i sleep with a normal pillow which i clamp between my knees,
Its comfy, and if in the middle of the night i need to turn over its easy to reposition,

CakeBump Sun 07-Oct-12 15:39:50

I sleep however is comfortable, as what with the itching, the restless legs and the heartburn any way of getting to sleep is welcome.

I'm 29 weeks.

Probably my usual position is half on my front, half on my left side with my right knee raised up. Sometimes a pregnancy pillow helps, sometimes I end up throwing it on the floor in frustration....

Splinters Sun 07-Oct-12 17:16:08

I'm 20 weeks and can still only sleep on my back -- sides make me uncomfortable and/or sick. No numbness or dizziness on my back at all, so I'm going to carry on until I stop being able to get a decent night's sleep that way.

iwishiwasalittlebitfitter Mon 08-Oct-12 07:58:46

I am 39 + 5 weeks and mother nature is teaching me to wake up every two hours so I can roll over (and move my dead arm!). My hips hurt after too long on one side. It is not comfy to sleep on my back. I used to be so good at sleeping, now I can only do short bursts. Meh.

whatsoever Mon 08-Oct-12 08:08:49

Sleep however the hell you can, I say.

I'm normally a front or occasional back sleeper. Front sleeping became too uncomfortable for me at about 16 weeks when my bump arrived. Back sleeping started making me feel dizzy & sick shortly afterwards.

At 40 weeks, I now swap between each side and propped up on my back at 45 degrees with my V pillow & 2 normal pillows. Pelvic pain is agony when I first turn onto either side but usually eases off if I grin and bare it.

Spend most of the night tossing & turning. I actually often have a more satisfying afternoon nap in the sofa than night time sleep at the moment, although yesterday I woke up so hot my face was bright red!

datingthedevil Mon 08-Oct-12 17:52:03

Thank you all, I'll stop feeling so guilty about wanting to lie on my right hand side now. I get really sick of lying on my left all the time.

It hurts like hell to roll over as it is due to SPD, but its good to lie another way every so often. xxx

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 09-Oct-12 01:48:56

There are rules for how you sleep when you are pregnant now?? Christ! confused
I slept in the recovery position for my whole pregnancy, both times. It's always on my right side, left leg up! I still sleep that way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now