Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cosy winter coat

(9 Posts)
lolo99 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:29:24

Please help. I really need a new winter jacket asap. For the last 3 years I have worn and loved in warmth a thick north face coat but it's a size 8 and getting too tight (I'm 22 weeks). I am in a dilemma. Do I get a cheaper outdoor coat in a size 12 or something or will that too be too tight in 10 plus weeks? I have a dog who I walk twice a day in wind, snow and rain so really need something waterproof and warm. Any ideas? I cannot afford another northface sad

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 22:31:09

Get a mans medium size thin waterproof coat and layer up. You won't want a thick coat with a bump. Try eBay for second hand?

lolo99 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:33:19

oooh thank you- hadn't thought of that smile
what do I layer with though? I am struggling to guess sizing on non maternity clothes eg jumpers and fleeces.

AlisonDB Fri 05-Oct-12 22:46:58

I'm 29 weeks now and also was wondering what to do about a winter coat.
My mum picked one up for me in a local charity shop,
It's in PERFECT!!!
Looks like new, is a size that will fit me right at the end of my preg and in the weeks after,
it only cost £10.00 and when I've finished with it I'll pass it back to the shop, so they can resell it,

mrsbugsywugsy Fri 05-Oct-12 22:56:45

i've bought a swing coat in a couple of sizes too big from ebay. fingers crossed it will fit me till the end.

Iggly Fri 05-Oct-12 23:16:32

A large mans base layer? Zip fleeces? I'd just go for menswear really. I had quite a pronounced bump and was a size 8 with mine (dd was born in December). I wore my men's medium sized north face jacket which came with a fleece and had t shirts underneath as I got too hot with too many long sleeves tops.

ivanapoo Sat 06-Oct-12 08:41:34

H&M had a padded possibly waterproof coat in their MAMA range last time I popped in.

I bought a wool bubble hem type coat from Oasis a few years back which will be my winter coat as still fits amply over bump. Not waterproof though of course. My cheap shapeless waterproof mac in size 10 still fits too.

My Oasis coat on eBay:

item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=370658864297&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=58091994408

Isandri Sat 06-Oct-12 19:25:05

Lolo i had exactly the same problem as you with the addittion of my husband working away for the next 2 weeks and living in denmark. I went for the low budget option of "borrowing" one of his coats. He's 6'4" and I'm 5'4" but I stole a semi fitted waterproof coat and it works for me. The only down side is I have to roll the sleeves up but the dog doesn't seem to mind. I only have 5 weeks left and am off work as my job is too dangerous during the last trimester so I'm not too concerned about how my coat looks and I did not want to spend a lot of money on a coat I'd only wear for a few weeks.

johnsonbrown Wed 10-Oct-12 07:33:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now