Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

king college anyone or any hospital really? 11 week scan?

(8 Posts)
SammyFirstBaby Fri 05-Oct-12 16:21:50

I had my midwife today, now everything seems real!!
Next week friday I have my 12 weeks scan, alothough ill be 11 weeks. Will they do the one on my belly, or one inside me?
Also how clear will it be?

Secondsop Fri 05-Oct-12 18:11:28

It'll most probably be on your belly, although for my dating/nuchal scan they also did a brief internal one as well to check things like length of birth canal.

Sastra Tue 09-Oct-12 10:11:15

I had my scans at kings. They have great machines, and my pictures are super clear :-)

Sastra Tue 09-Oct-12 10:11:40

Oh, and at 11 weeks is very unlikely to be an internal!

heliotrope Tue 09-Oct-12 13:01:56

At Kings I believe they do the internal scan as well at the nuchal (which I thikn they do anytime 11-14w).
They also did both tummy and internal scan at 23 weeks for me, I'm not sure if that was just because my placenta looked low and they wanted to double check. Or if everyone has it.
Kings do a lot of stuff other hosps don't do, due to their research programmes. E.g. they now routinely book you for a 32 week scan as well, and get your permission to use your blood test results in research. This is for their research and you can decline if you like. You can decline the internal scan as well but it gives them a better view and more measurements for their research.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Tue 09-Oct-12 13:13:12

I had my ds at Kings - fantastic fetal medicine unit - world leading!
I had both abdominal and internal U/S at 12 weeks as he was lying in an awkward position they couldn't see his face properly (though suppose my lardy stomach didn't help (BM1 31)
Also ended up having internal scan at 22weeks to check length of cervix for risk of premature delivery.
found them to be excellent - though the wait was long. It's great as you get your triple test results there and then too.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Tue 09-Oct-12 13:13:28

*foetal

Jollyb Tue 09-Oct-12 14:02:21

As others have said Kings usually do both at 12 weeks. The abdominal to look at the baby and the trans vaginal scan to look at the length of your cervix. They are a big research centre so you'll be well looked after. The scans seem to last ages as they take so many detailed measurements. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now