Talk

Advanced search

Dental Hygiene in early pregnancy

(10 Posts)
kellestar Fri 05-Oct-12 15:36:41

I'm worried my teeth have really been suffering during this pregnancy [dc2], every time I brush my teeth it sets off my gag reflex and I usually vomit, I'm 11+5 and this has been going on since before I found out.

Last time it wasn't this bad. I'm worried about not just my teeth, but bleeding gums and also bad breath.

I had a check up at the dentist last time which just happened to be in early pregnancy. The hygienist was really good as had recently been pregnant, the advice was to wait 20 minutes after vomiting before brushing teeth as the stomach acid can cause damage if you brush straight after. I'm also currently brushing first thing on an empty stomach as otherwised I'd return all my breakfast.

Anyone have any other tips? Can anyone recommend a non-minty toothpaste?

NatashaBee Fri 05-Oct-12 15:46:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffeh Fri 05-Oct-12 16:13:09

I had this exact problem until this week. I found brushing whenever I didn't feel quite as nauseous worked best and using a good alcohol free mouthwash 30 mins after vomiting was easier than brushing as I usually did after breakfast and before bed.
I was brushing mid morning-lunchtime and about an hour after dinner. And if I knew I was going to vomit I'd try to gently clean front and middle teeth avoiding back teeth until I felt less sick.

PandaWatch Fri 05-Oct-12 16:19:57

Are you able to floss?

kellestar Fri 05-Oct-12 16:25:52

I'm able to floss the front teeth and use interdentals. I've been mainly brushing the front teeth and middle, leaving the back to last. But if I touch the roof of my mouth it sets off the gag.

I tried DD's colgate for milk teeth but it has a really weird texture and squeaks on my teeth, really odd.

alcohol free mouthwash... will investigate this option.

LemonMagic Fri 05-Oct-12 16:45:47

Hi - I had exactly the same problem for first 16 weeks or so, couldn't stand brushing for more than a few seconds and was often sick, esp in evenings after brushing. But I found mouthwash - any old one - was fine, so just brushed for what I could bear to then used lots of mouthwash and hoped my teeth wouldn't fall out! Just been to dentist this afternoon for first time since pg, now 28 weeks, since I thought I should check and all fine... So don't worry.

AlisonDB Sat 13-Oct-12 07:15:49

I still have that problem, am 31 wks
Smearing toothpaste with my finger on to the teeth, instead of brushing, helps, so at least they are getting some protection, then when i feel i can msnsge it brushing for a couple of seconds , spitting, having a break, then brushing again for a couple of seconds etc.....
It's the only way I'm managing without being sick every time
I even went through in earlier preg not being able to brush DS teeth, as that would make me sick so DH had to do it instead!

DespairSquid Sat 13-Oct-12 09:57:19

I couldn't bear brushing my teeth in the morning with DC1. I told my dentist and he said to just make sure they got a good brush at night and not to panic about the mornings.

whatsoever Sat 13-Oct-12 10:15:03

I had the same issue. I gagged almost every time I brushed until 16-20 weeks although only actually vommed a few times. Bleeding gums have continued throughout however, and I'm just flossing to keep that under control.

I never really found a way round the gagging/throwing up, I just hoped for the best & it did eventually pass. My dad is a retired dentist and always told me not to brush teeth straight after being sick for the same reason you were advised.

Mouthwash sounds a good idea, wish I'd thought of that.

MummyTeach85 Sat 13-Oct-12 19:51:14

I found this morning that because I had eaten a ginger buscuit about 20 mins before I did not throw up. Might be worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now