Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron Supplements

(15 Posts)
knottyhair Fri 05-Oct-12 15:14:47

Hi. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and have just been told my iron levels are low, and I need to take tablets. But in my last pregnancy they made me very constipated. Does anyone know if the liquid ones are better? Thanks.

ivanapoo Fri 05-Oct-12 15:20:34

I heard they are gentler but not as strong... I've just been diagnosed with low iron too and am hoping the tablets will make me feel better as currently exhausted, breathless and weak.

HaveALittleFaith Fri 05-Oct-12 15:26:09

Yes liquid iron tends not to have the same side effects as iron tablets. I didn't know about the difference in effectiveness though. You'd need to discuss it with your GP.

terilou87 Fri 05-Oct-12 15:49:57

hi knottyhair i know exactly how you feel, i had to have iron tablets with dc 1 and vowed i would never take them again because the constipation was unbearable, so to keep my iron levels up in my last 3 pregnancies and it has worked each time i have either broccoli or sprouts with at least one meal a day (definitely doesnt make me constipated quite the opposite) my iron levels are currently 12.1 i couldn't advise on liquid tablets tho. smile

jetstar Fri 05-Oct-12 15:56:34

I took Floradix in one pregnancy and Spatone in the next. Would recommend either. Floradix from Holland & Barrett type shop and Spatone from Boots. Both are liquid. Floradix tastes a bit funny but I got used to it. It's plant based. Spatone you put in a glass of orange juice and drink it. Can't really taste it. Both recommended by midwives I had looking after me.
smile

ivanapoo Fri 05-Oct-12 16:04:25

I've just checked and my iron tabs (Pregaday) from the doc have 6x more iron in than my Floradix does (going on the daily dose).

I'm going to see how I get on with the tablets but have already had constipation and piles earlier in pregnancy and it wasn't fun... I might try alternating between the two if the tablets are too harsh.

CaptainHoratioWragge Fri 05-Oct-12 16:11:24

Spatone much better for me than the tablets which made my already bad constipation much worse

They always seem to be on 3 for 2 at boots if you can get to one

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 16:16:23

I've been taking Spatone since about week 28 and not had constipation problems (well no more than before I was taking it!) - I take 2 sachets per day, with vit C to aid absoprtion.

Spatone does have less iron in it but it says it's in a more absorbable form so that may make up for it? I have definitely felt less exhausted since starting it so I think it is having an effect... guess I won't know if it's enough of an effect till I get tested next though.

peeriebear Fri 05-Oct-12 16:20:17

Minipie is right- the spatone has less iron content but much more of it is absorbed. It also doesn't give you constipation smile

knottyhair Fri 05-Oct-12 16:47:17

Thanks everyone! I think I might try to get some Spatone and give that a go. Thanks again, much appreciated x

themammy73 Fri 05-Oct-12 18:01:49

I have problems with constipation and iron. I didn't take any iron in my last three pregnancies and like Terilou have managed to maintain levels with diet. I got a bit of a telling off on my last visit from the midwife so spoke to the pharmacist regarding the merits of spatone and he did say there was a lot less iron. He gave me Galfer but in a liquid suspension form; this way I control the dose. So ultimately I'm aiming for 10mls but currently on 2.5mls (and then not every day) but it's not affecting my constipation. Could be another option for you if you find that the Spatone doesn't give you the extra iron you need.

OddFrog Fri 05-Oct-12 18:46:04

Another vote for Spatone and for floradix. Also, a big recommendation for dried figs and apricots to nibble on throughout the day.

As I understand it, there's a natural dip in blood iron levels around the 28 week mark because of your increased blood volume. There's usually time over the next 6-8 weeks to get back up to a normal level before the birth with a good diet and non-constipating supplements.

knottyhair Fri 05-Oct-12 18:53:50

Thanks again! I have been nibbling on dried apricots, and I've checked what I need to increase in my diet (red meat, leafy greens, eggs, baked beans, Weetabix - could be in for a windy few weeks!).

NanoNinja Fri 05-Oct-12 21:36:38

FWIW, I held off taking iron tablets until the tiredness was so bad that it seemed like a worse prospect than constipation. I tend towards constipation anyway, and it was bad in early pregnancy, so was dreading it getting worse. However when I did start taking tablets, I found that my constipation improved rather than worsened. I know it's not normal, but it does happen!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 05-Oct-12 21:43:12

As far as I remember 1 packet of Spa tone = RDA due to the better absorption.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now