Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tomatoes

(10 Posts)
sundaesundae Fri 05-Oct-12 10:01:07

Ok, another weird question from me.

last night I ate a slice of raw tomato, not something I eat often and I haven't eaten any since becoming pregnant (aside from cherry tomatoes and only one!). As soon as the tomato reached my tummy I had a VERY violent reaction and projectile vomitted. I have never reacted like that to anything. Ten minutes later I ate the rest of my dinner normally and didn't throw any of it up, but I did feel saw and rubbishy.

Is this a normal reaction, I am assuming I should now avoid tomatoes, but is it normal to suddenly find you react with violence to things you used to be able to eat?

sammyleh Fri 05-Oct-12 10:05:23

I had a similar reaction with chicken, the idea of eating chicken made me feel horrendously sick. It just reminded me of baby flesh so I couldn't touch it, look at it and it took me ages before I'd eat a bit. You'll probably find that certain foods just don't taste the same or you simply don't like them any more smile

sundaesundae Fri 05-Oct-12 10:09:56

I can't eat broccoli as I am just averse to it. But the tomato I fancied, had a nice fat slice, it tasted fine and it just reversed at speed.

My husband loathes tomatoes and can't eat them after an incident as a child. He thinks the baby knows this!! I'm 16 weeks, so don't think baby is big enough to boot things out just yet.

I can't imagine eating tomato now.

ShellyBobbs Fri 05-Oct-12 12:42:16

How weird! Was it straight from the fridge or something? My tomato love affair started in my second pregnancy and now 34+ weeks into my 4th pregnancy, I'd say I easily eat about 14 large tomatoes a day plus plum or cherry if there's any left.

My son (the second pregnancy) loathes tomatoes too, but my daughter (third pregnancy, I ate loads) adores them and can easily match my craving on a normal day.

Chocolate is the thing I went off at 12 weeks and it hasn't returned either sad

sundaesundae Fri 05-Oct-12 12:53:21

It was room temperature, normal slice of tomato. I love tomatoes too, could eat tonnes of them, but haven't eaten any so far for some reason. I wondered if it was the texture or something, it was so sudden and I ate the rest of my meal fine once I had recovered!

Thechick Fri 05-Oct-12 13:45:16

I had aversions to everything at about 6 weeks and it went totally at about 17 weeks I think. There were so many things that I could eat before that I just couldn't eat, like bread and rice and meat. Tomatoes was in there and I still can't eat them now. Not sure what it is.

Pancakeflipper Fri 05-Oct-12 13:47:53

I did the same with some beansprouts I was cooking in a stir fry when I was pregnant and I still cannot smell/ look at a stir fry without wanting to heave.

I guess our bodies behave in mad ways when pregnant.

PeshwariNaan Fri 05-Oct-12 13:51:11

Yes. And it changes from week to week. I could only eat a handful of foods from about 6-16 weeks due to aversions, but even the foods I felt I could eat hardly stayed down. Foods I became confident would stay down in one week sometimes didn't in the following week! Even now at 25 weeks I will eat a meal I've eaten many times before, and it will come up quickly and violently.

If tomatoes bother you, be careful with acidic fruits and vegetables. I had a major problem with citrus fruit, tomatoes and apples when I was at my most sick. I'm not sure what stage you're in, but you should be able to add them back eventually.

ShellyBobbs Fri 05-Oct-12 14:03:09

Quiche was one thing that really made me vom in my second pregnancy and I still can't look at them now without my stomach turning. Ewww it's like egg mousse.....envy

sundaesundae Fri 05-Oct-12 14:04:41

I'm on omeprazole for heartburn, so it shouldn't be an acid issue.

At least it is normal. I have lost most of my appetite so I suppose it is part and parcel.

I'm 16 weeks so got forever of this happening sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now