Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First baby, last saw midwife at 16 weeks?

(21 Posts)
chipsandmushypeas Fri 05-Oct-12 08:35:09

I'm 28 + 4 today and seeing the midwife today for check up. last time I saw one I was 16 weeks and all she did was take blood pressure, is this norma? I've had my 20 week scan. Just seems like a big gap, baby seems fine, moving lots so I'm not worried really.

stowsettler Fri 05-Oct-12 08:46:05

Yes, I'm the same. Saw her at 16 weeks, just had my 20wk scan and not due to see mw til 1st November (will be 28 wks). They get more regular after that, apparently.

newtonupontheheath Fri 05-Oct-12 08:49:49

Same here with my second.

You get an "extra" appointment with your first at 24 weeks that is skipped on your second.

They pretty much leave you to get on with it!!

ZuleikaD Fri 05-Oct-12 08:50:21

No, that's the usual gap. You'll probably have another visit at 34, then 36, 38, 40 and possibly 41+6. grin

chipsandmushypeas Fri 05-Oct-12 08:53:42

This is my first though newton

Glad to hear others have had the same!

Don't worry, perfectly normal. You'll be sick of seeing her them you get to about 36 weeks grin

newtonupontheheath Fri 05-Oct-12 08:57:23

Sorry chips ... So, with my first I had one at 24 weeks too blush

<my head hurts...>

ThreeWheelsGood Fri 05-Oct-12 09:09:33

As well as blood pressure they should always test your urine sample too.

chipsandmushypeas Fri 05-Oct-12 09:12:38

Thank you smile

Anything I should ask? I'm already booked on antenatal class with hospital and will book breastfeeding class soon. It's too early to discuss birth preferences I guess? I would like to be referred to their mw led unit

ZuleikaD Fri 05-Oct-12 09:56:52

I would tell them about the MLU at this visit (you may find she raises it anyway), and you might want to ask about the whooping cough jab too. Can't remember if 28 weeks is another blood test.

crosscupcake Fri 05-Oct-12 10:17:10

When i questioned this with my mw, i was told that this is in accordance with NICE guidlines.

However, i do question those women (like me) who are classed as "high risk".
This is far too long without monitoring imo.

They agreed with me actually.

They also tell me that normal delivery women are discharged after 6 hours and c section are discharged after 48 hours...soon to be 24 hours.
This has increased their workload hugely.

They simply do not have the time to see women more often!

There is a national shortage of mws, poor buggers i felt so sorry for my lovely mw when she was telling me this.

Anyhow, i have been seeing my mw regularly (every 2 weeks) as i am anxious and terrified. 10 minute appointment, check babys hb, and my bp, and i am fine.
If theyc an do it, they will do their best...they have for me, bless them.

chipsandmushypeas Fri 05-Oct-12 10:25:31

I'm def not complaining, just wondering if its normal. I'm aware there are serious shortages so def not complaining, plus baby seems fine. My hospital have been great so far, really happy with them. I'm sure not much changes from 24 to 28 weeks too x

PeshwariNaan Fri 05-Oct-12 10:27:29

The MW needs to be checking your urine at every single appointment. Has she done this? If not, that's not good. sad The urine sample checks for protein which is an indicator of pre-eclampsia and infections among other things.

PeshwariNaan Fri 05-Oct-12 10:29:45

She should also be measuring your growth (fundus) and listening to the baby's HB at each appt. (I had appts. at 16, 25 and will have another at 30 wks in addition to 20-wk scan...)

crosscupcake Fri 05-Oct-12 10:32:09

Chipsandmushypeas...(see now i need chips n mushy peas for lunch now..gahhhh)
I asked as i was thinking the same as you, but i did want to complain as it just didnt make sense to me.

As i say, i dont think that the rules are hard & fast, they are flexible as long as i am and i dont think im too demanding as they run a clinic every week, so i go every 2 weeks to the clinic.

crosscupcake Fri 05-Oct-12 10:35:03

gringrinsmile
just placed a lunch order with DH as he is home at dinner, bringing me chips mushy peas n gravy yum yum yum yum.

chipsandmushypeas Fri 05-Oct-12 11:03:20

grin now I want it too! Probably end up getting a crappy sandwich after appointment. Meh.

She did check urine at 16 weeks, all clear

newtonupontheheath Fri 05-Oct-12 11:50:31

They may repeat bloods if your iron is low... They did mine at booking in, 28 weeks and 36 weeks to check it had gone up.

It's never to early to discuss birthing options!

BuntyCollocks Fri 05-Oct-12 13:19:17

I think as a first time mum you should have been seen at 24 weeks?

I'm on my second, but I've seen my midwife every 4 weeks this time as well - that's the service they offer. Next appt 32 weeks, and I imagine it'll then be 36, 38, 40, 41 ... Except I'm hoping I'll be in labour at 38 wink

panicnotanymore Fri 05-Oct-12 14:09:48

I'm a first timer, a bit (ahem) older than average and I had a lot of bleeding and a lost twin so not exactly an easy pregnancy. I have the same - a 16 week MW appointment, 20 week scan and then a 28 week MW appointment. Nothing at 24 weeks. I have no desire to spend hours hanging around for them to spend precisely 2 mins doing a wee check any more often than I have to.

minipie Fri 05-Oct-12 16:22:33

I am a first timer and had an appointment at 24 weeks. It was with the GP though, not the midwife, and I had to book it myself, it wasn't made for me.

This is because I'm under shared care. I then had a MW appt at 28 weeks, I now have GP appts (again, booked myself) at 32 and 24 weeks, then MW at 36 weeks, etc.

Might be the same for you, are you under shared care?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now