Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Why do people keep telling me "you're so low"!!!

(18 Posts)
bramblina Thu 04-Oct-12 23:28:54

I'm due in 7 weeks....and don't get the relevance. Do they mean I'm ready to give birth now?!

Mixxy Fri 05-Oct-12 06:46:35

Perhaps it means they expect you are having a boy by the way you are carrying.

miniandfloss Fri 05-Oct-12 06:46:46

I'm due in 8 weeks and it's the first thing people say to me too. One woman even said 'ooh you're very low I'd be worried about that'! Great thanks! According to mw all is fine and normal! So I'm just pleased I'm not getting jabbed in the ribs on a daily basis like my friend who is a couple of weeks ahead any carrying much higher.

AitchDee Fri 05-Oct-12 06:59:27

It doesn't mean anything, they are just making conversation.

cakeandcava Fri 05-Oct-12 09:09:24

Towards the end of pregnancy your baby drops into your pelvis - it can be quite visible if you've been carrying high (under your ribs) until then. It's just a way of making conversation and commenting that it looks like you're nearing the end! smile

If your baby has indeed dropped, don't worry to much, they can stay dropped for weeks, and even pop back up again, so it doesn't have to mean that anything is about to happen immediately.

mummy2benji Fri 05-Oct-12 09:41:51

People say such silly things! Presumably your bump is quite low and not sticking way out just beneath your ribs - absolutely no relelvance either way though as we all carry differently!

wkmmum Fri 05-Oct-12 09:48:10

33 weeks here and I've had a couple of people tell me in the last few days that my bump has dropped. Doesn't feel any different to me and according to the mw on Wednesday baby has just turned breech so I'm confused. Maybe that's why people think it looks different xx

LimeLeafLizard Fri 05-Oct-12 10:24:33

They are just being nosey buggers commenting on how they think you look to make conversation. Ignore unless you have any concerns, in which case ask your MW.

MrsJohnDeere Fri 05-Oct-12 11:03:51

They're just trying to make conversation. Some might be suggesting that they think you're having a boy.

ShellyBobbs Fri 05-Oct-12 12:35:51

They are being the usual experts that you get wandering the streets. Next time someone says it to you, just look at them and say 'so are you love, maybe it's time you invested in a support bra'. Or maybe 'gosh, another midwife!'.

GracieGirl Fri 05-Oct-12 12:44:32

Ignore them. Everyone thinks they're an expert when you're pregnant. Everyone carries differently.
My first baby dropped very obviously into my pelvis at 33 weeks leaving me with no heart burn and lots of lung space, but needing a wee all the time. She arrived 1 day early. My 2nd never seemed to drop and arrived very very suddenly 2 weeks early.

Good luck! Don't worry what people say, start growing that thick skin, the comments won't stop once you give birth, they'll just change to- losing the baby weight, breast/bottle feeding comments, size of baby, development of baby.....
And my personal favourite.... "why isn't your baby sleeping through yet?!!'"

Midgetm Fri 05-Oct-12 13:09:25

Lots of people take the baby being low as a sign it is coming very soon. It isn't an Insult. It also isn't a sign of baby coming soon either though as mine dropped ages ago but he's still bloody in there.

mrsbugsywugsy Fri 05-Oct-12 15:19:43

don't know what it means but several people have told me mine is high!

I'm only 24 weeks though, my tummy suddenly popped out in the last few weeks and I do look a bit comedy - like a small child who has stuck a football up their top. I have a horrible feeling it is all cake.

MoonHare Fri 05-Oct-12 15:25:30

People have been saying this to me for about the last 2 weeks too (am almost 38 weeks) I fear it means "OMG you look enormous and uncomfortable but I'm too polite to say that."

Hey ho. I think - this is what 38 weeks pregnant looks like people, deal with it!!!

NimChimpsky Fri 05-Oct-12 15:28:30

They're making conversation and trying to share in this happy time with you. Just smile and nod.

terilou87 Fri 05-Oct-12 15:40:15

people seem to feel the need to talk to us pregnant ladies and telling us things like were looking low is a convo starter. god knows why anyone would want to talk to me when i'm pregnant, i'm soo much nicer when im not grin

sammyleh Fri 05-Oct-12 16:09:32

I wish I was carrying low! at 38 weeks I look like I've got a third (massive) boob with a bellybutton for a nipple sad
People keep on telling me I'm tidy or small etc... does my head in but I just say 'thanks' and leave it at that. Just trying to make conversation but I don't think they realise how boring it becomes after they are the hundredth person to say it smile x

bramblina Fri 05-Oct-12 23:08:44

Oh thanks, everyone! I don't think they are trying to make conversation because they say it like they are utterly shocked and can't help but say it! One woman who has had 5 children keeps telling me there's no way I'll go to November....! Oh god! I've got too much to do before I have this baby!!
I suppose I do look lower than some but then I think my pelvic floor is telling me that too....everything has just gone south sad 3rd baby, I kind of expected it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now