Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To dippy egg or not to dippy egg ?

(15 Posts)
Nicky1306 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:40:13

Hi,

I love dippy eggs and so far have avoided them, BUT I read somewhere that if they are lion stamped it's ok to eat them runny as they have been vaccinated ( is that the correct word ? Do eggs get vaccinated?! Anyway.....) against samonella, so the risk of you contracting samonella is very small.

And even If you were unlucky enough to get samonella, it doesn't cross the placenta and the only risk to the baby would be dehydration, is any of this true or have I made it up totally?!

Xx

MyDaydream Thu 04-Oct-12 18:45:03

I've been dippy egging throughout my pregnancy, love a sausage and runny fried egg sandwich for lunch on a weekend! I get my eggs lion stamped, it means the chickens have been vaccinated against salmonella. I've been eating runny eggs all my life problem free, I'm willing to risk it now rather than a boring cooked yoke!

phoenixrose314 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:55:23

I dippy egg and see no reason not to. Just make sure your eggs have the red lion stamp on them to say that they have been checked for listeria already and you're fine.

Enjoy smile

elvislives2012 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:56:14

Yes to dippy egg!!! Am 38 weeks PG and wouldn't have been able to manage with crappy cooked yolks. You're right about the lion stamping- if there was a real danger and babies had come up harm, there would have been an outcry. Dip away!!!

Brugmansia Thu 04-Oct-12 18:59:04

Yes to dippy eggs. The risk would be salmonella anyway, not listeria, which would make you very ill but as far as I am aware it's not thought to post any harm to the fetus. As said though, the risk in commercially available eggs is negligible anyway.

Midgetm Thu 04-Oct-12 19:02:07

Yes to dippy eggs. Unless there is a risk to the baby it is always a yes from me. So many things can give you food poisoning and you can't avoid them all. I do avoid things that could cross the placenta but I love a dippy egg.

freerangelady Thu 04-Oct-12 19:06:32

Yes to dippy egg. I'm married to an egg farmer and have eaten them nearly every day.

MammaBrussels Thu 04-Oct-12 19:23:39

The red lion mark means the hens have been vaccinated against salmonella and the production process includes testing for salmonella so they should be salmonella free.

Dippy egg.

It should be against the law to deprive oneself of dippy eggs.

Nicky1306 Thu 04-Oct-12 20:06:05

I had one, ok two! It was lush!! gringrin thanks
Xx

Kelerina Thu 04-Oct-12 20:16:16

Hurray for dippy eggs!!!!

RockabillyKitty Thu 04-Oct-12 22:10:53

This has made my day! Might have to rush out & buy some for breakfast tomorrow!

xmasevebundle Fri 05-Oct-12 12:28:24

I did not know this, thank you for the thread.

Oh, i have been very cruel to myself, the craving for runny eggs and chips have been overwhelming.

<runs to the kitchen>

SrirachaGirl Fri 05-Oct-12 12:30:29

I craved them when I was pregnant and indulged liberally. The DCs and I were all fine. Go for the omega-3 ones...brain enhancing smile.

glossyflower Fri 05-Oct-12 19:47:23

Not sure about the stamp myself but I would go for a yummy dippy egg! Our mothers had them before the times of stamps and we lived to tell the tale x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now