Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Phantom pregnancy

(8 Posts)
tiggy114 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:22:51

I have them all the time as my belly gets swollen with IBS. But this time no IBS. My background is that i don't have periods. Tests havn't reveled why. But i seem to be super fertile. I caught on first try with my DD. So i wouldn't know if i'd missed a period. I have a memory of feeling sick just once months ago and thats it. Thing is my belly is big and round and i look 5 months pregnant! I can also feel flutters (i feel em in the phantom pregs as well though coz of IBS. I'm not on contraception but we've been careful using pull out method. I took 2 pg tests though and they say -ve. But does hcg hormone lessen after a while? Would it pick up if i was 5 mo? Also my bellys hard but if i lie down, i can't feel owt in there. Any thought?

tiggy114 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:23:56

Also i've had awful heartburn. Been chugging the rennies!!!

LimeLeafLizard Thu 04-Oct-12 18:38:02

Phew, you have my sympathy - the IBS must be very annoying, and combined with lack of periods, I can understand how you wouldn't know that you were pg.

As I understand it, the pg tests would still show +ve later on in pregnancy - but I'm sure if you're worried the doctors would do a blood test, considering your circumstances.

Hope you get the outcome you want.

tiggy114 Thu 04-Oct-12 19:04:07

Thanks lime. Don't really want another tbh. If it happened it happened but it's more likely to be my imagination. Just when i googled hcg levels dropping agin, i was like, well how would you know then coz a test wouldn't work!

HaveALittleFaith Thu 04-Oct-12 19:37:43

Yes if you that far along a home pregnancy test may give a false negative. this explains it better than I can. Also the withdrawal method really isn't a reliable form of 'contraception'.

I agree you should see your GP - they can do a blood test and check you over. Is your belly firm? Does it fluctuate in size or it is constantly big? It might be there's something else going on rather than pregnancy but best to get checked out to put your mind at ease.

HaveALittleFaith Thu 04-Oct-12 19:38:30

Oh and only blood tests can give you an idea of the hcg levels.

whatsoever Fri 05-Oct-12 09:06:50

A true phantom pregnancy would show a false + surely?

Admittedly, a different species, but our family dog as a child had a phantom pregnancy and she had all the pregnancy hormones, swollen uterus, milk came in, everything.

HaveALittleFaith Fri 05-Oct-12 09:32:35

A true 'phantom pregnancy' is actually one where the woman is convinced she's pregnant even though she's not, so she'll talk like ages pregnant even if a medical professional has tested and says she's not, I don't think that's the case with the OP! Either it's the case that the OP is so far along that urine tests aren't accurate any more or something else is causing symptoms similar to pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now