Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain

(7 Posts)
Rowanhart Thu 04-Oct-12 16:03:35

I'm so confused. My bump is measuring the right size and my boobs have got bigger but that's it. People keep commenting on how I look the same everywhere else and you can't tell I'm preggers from the back.

But I've put on a total of 40lbs at 34weeks. Way over the recommended amount. Has anyone put on similar and can't understand? Does this mean I'm about to have a mahoosive baby...

BettyandDon Thu 04-Oct-12 16:09:47

I put on about that last time, with the exception being that I looked very fat aswell as looking pregnant, despite being size 10 before. Infact I probably looked fat first and pregnant second. I'm pretty short and before DC I would look overweight if I gained 5lbs. Maybe it is fluid gains or if you are tall you carry the extra more evenly so it's harder to spot.

BettyandDon Thu 04-Oct-12 16:10:50

Oh and my baby was 8lbs...

18wksplus Thu 04-Oct-12 23:04:53

I'm with you Rowan. I've put on quite a lot in weight since the start of my pregnancy (am above where the chart says I should be, based on my prepregnancy (healthy) weight), but I'm still in pre-pregnancy skinny jeans, and only need maternity tops because of the bump and boobs (am 20wks). People have only begun congratulating me in the last few days, since apparently I only now look pregnant (think I 'popped' over the weekend) - this is people who have seen me in workout gear.

I also don't understand where the weight has come from. First baby was 8lbs too so not huge (not small, but not a 10lb-er!).

farfallarocks Fri 05-Oct-12 12:02:42

I feel your pain, I am 36 weeks and have gained 18kg, a lot of it is water my hands and legs are really swollen. I am gaining about 1kg a week despite eating healthily and swimming/walking.
I think some people just gain more, everyone is different, from looking at friends it made no difference to the size of the baby or how quickly people got back in shape afterwards so try not to worry.

18wksplus Fri 05-Oct-12 13:45:29

Agreed - I lost the weight v quickly after DD.

terilou87 Fri 05-Oct-12 16:07:45

with my first i got told this a lot despite putting on 3 stone, my bump was huge tho, i weighed myself before going in to hospital (i was induced) and when i got home 5 days later (had to have c sec) he was 8lb1and there were alot of waters and i weighed 1.7 stone less and the rest of the weight soon dropped off me smile this time round i feel fatter than ever but iv only gained 9lbs and my stomach is measuring 38 weeks when im 35+2 hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now