Talk

Advanced search

Flu Jab confusion

(8 Posts)
sammyleh Thu 04-Oct-12 14:28:17

Hi all,

This could be a daft question but here goes. I had a flu jab just after I found out I was pregnant - I was only about 6 wks then, and no flu so far, no side effects, everything seems good and healthy with the baby.

I'm booked in tomorrow for another one, as well as other stuff (wont go into detail) and because I've got a cold, I called back to ask if I was still ok to have the jab. The receptionist wasn't too helpful, rushed me through the call and before I got chance to ask 'is it ok to have another jab considering I had a jab early this year' she'd already gone and hung up. I don't want to call her back, she was a dick. So basically, is it ok to have 2 flu jabs in one year if they're at opposite end of the year?

Thanks xx

Clarella Thu 04-Oct-12 15:04:45

Post this in the mnhq nhs sponsored thread above?

sammyleh Thu 04-Oct-12 15:08:04

I was going to but they wont be answered for a few days yet, and my jab is tomorrow smile

Scroobius Thu 04-Oct-12 15:24:12

Phone a different doctors, they never seem to ask for my name unless I'm making an appointment so don't see why someone else wouldn't be able to help.
Sorry other than that I don't have any clue about the flu jab.

Clarella Thu 04-Oct-12 15:29:16

I suppose if there's other stuff to be seen about, you could keep the appt and could just ask before you get it - and if its ok to have if you have a cold - my nurse said only if a fever but they might suggest to come back when better anyway.

HaveALittleFaith Thu 04-Oct-12 17:13:22

They wouldn't give me my flu jab when I had a UTI and was on antibiotics. They said they didn't want to make me sicker!

The new flu jab (I presume you had it the beginning of the year?) will be trying to target the current strain of flu - they tweak it every year. So I would wait until the cold has eased but it should be ok to have the jab.

mummy2benji Thu 04-Oct-12 19:29:48

Should be fine - it will be a new strain of flu virus targeted by this vaccine, so shouldn't matter that you had a previous vaccine earlier this year. A cold isn't a contraindication to having the jab - fever or being on antibiotics would be different - so you should be fine to go ahead and have it tomorrow. Double check with the nurse as she will know when you had the last vaccine and what exactly it was.

sammyleh Fri 05-Oct-12 09:40:34

I went this morning and it turns out that it was fine, Thanks ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now