Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pilates during early preganancy, is it safe?

(9 Posts)

Very early days, signed up to non pregnancy Pilates at the start of term. Can I keep going another three weeks until half term? I'll stop then without anyone asking questions.

Just that I go with my sister and a member of staff So cat will be out of bag if I whisper to tutor or drop out!

Wasn't worried in my first pg but sudden onset of hormones and paranoia!

OhBuggerandArse Wed 03-Oct-12 18:15:49

Abdominal exercises should be adapted. But it's not like the teacher will say "Cereal, you do XYZ instead BECAUSE YOU"RE PREGNANT", she'll just quietly say "or do XYZ if you feel more comfortable",or something like that. Or you could blame it on a bad back (to your sister) if you really feel you need an excuse?

AliceHurled Wed 03-Oct-12 18:17:05

If you explain to the teacher I'm sure she'll say it more subtly. I did the same at yoga, and was advised to do things differently due to my 'back problem'.

YompingJo Wed 03-Oct-12 20:19:24

I did pilates before I was pregnant, told my teacher when I found out, and continued doing the same class (with some exercises slightly modified) up until 35 weeks. It was fine, and I'm pretty sure it helped me to stave off back ache and keep my core muscles strong and posture good. As long as the instructor knows what to be careful about, you'll be fine.

YompingJo Wed 03-Oct-12 20:21:14

Ah, sorry, just read your post properly, didn't realise you didn't want to mention it. I told my pilates teacher when I was 6 weeks pregnant and she said I needn't do anything differently before 12 weeks anyway, but after than I would need to be careful with crunches and may find it uncomfortable being on my back for some exercises (I never did find it uncomfortable though)

HaveALittleFaith Wed 03-Oct-12 20:22:15

Could you ring the teacher before you turn up? Just say you've found out you're pregnant, don't want people knowing but is it ok, what exercises to avoid etc?

CityDweller Wed 03-Oct-12 21:23:50

I continued my regular Pilates classes until 12 wks, until I started to notice my abs giving out a bit (eg struggled to do 100s with my legs straight in air), so told teacher then (via email). She advised shifting to a lower level class, which I've done. It's a bit frustrating, as other than my lower abs I feel as strong as I did before.

VickyU Thu 04-Oct-12 09:26:35

I tried to carry on when I first became pregnant without telling the teacher but to be honest I found myself feeling petrified about doing the wrong thing. I just didn't trust myself to be able to work out what I could and couldn't do. That said, I was doing reformer pilates which may be slightly different from you. Now, at 21 weeks, I am doing prenatal pilates which is amazing.

The decision was taken out of my hands in a way, the teacher has said that she is no longer running that class on the Wednesday and I can't make it to the Monday or Thursday so she is refunding my last two sessions

I did antenatal yoga last time between 12-42 weeks (every single week!) and so this time not sure whether to do AN yoga or AN pilates?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now