Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

good stretchmark prevention oil? as 'natural' as poss??!

(25 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:07:45

Does anyone know a good one?

I generally try to use paraben-free stuff for everyday (where poss) so obviously it would be great to find something without chemical nasties in. I've just been given some unexpected birthday dosh from my auntie so am prepared to splash the cash and treat myself if there are any Space NK-type brands that are good.

I think bio-oil is meant to be good but not sure how chemical-ish it is...?

TIA!! smile

VickyU Wed 03-Oct-12 17:41:19

Mamma Mio all the way. Their stuff is amazing and very natural.

mummy2benji Wed 03-Oct-12 17:49:23

BioOil isn't chemical - has purcelin oil in it, an essential oil that is safe in pregnancy. I used it with ds and didn't get any stretch marks - now 36+4 with dd and have used it twice a day since about 16 weeks, and no stretch marks as yet still. x

BonaDea Wed 03-Oct-12 17:53:23

I also like Mamma Mio - it's lovely and you can get it in Mamas & Papas and Oliver Bonas.

KentuckyFriedChildren Wed 03-Oct-12 18:09:20

These oils feel nice etc but if you're going to get stretch marks you'll get them anyway. Bio oil etc just minimise the look of them, usually after they appear. I used it religiously throughout first 2 and got heaps of stretch marks anyway. Not bothered this time and none so far hmm

ZuleikaD Wed 03-Oct-12 18:38:37

Nothing stops stretch marks if you're going to get them.

Marmiteisyummy Wed 03-Oct-12 19:59:11

Another vote for mama mio. About to start using again, but went to 40+13 with DS and not a mark. I got dreadful stretch marks in puberty so was worried. I may well have not got them anyway, apparently less common in older women, but the cream/oil smells gorgeous so I'm going to do the same this pg.
Jojomamanbebe sell it and you can get 10% off with the mumsnet code.

YompingJo Wed 03-Oct-12 20:13:58

I have been using Dr Hauschka Blackthorn Body Oil - not cheap, but smells and feels lovely, 39+4 and not a single stretch mark, but who knows, that could be genetic. Can be bought in John Lewis stores amongst other places.

Badgerina Wed 03-Oct-12 21:47:03

Clarins Tonic Oil. It's bloody miraculous. I didn't use anything in my first pregnancy and got stretch marks on my bump and tops of thighs and hips. I haven't had ANY with this pregnancy, and I've used Clarins Tonic Oil LOADS. It's expensive, but worth it.

schroedingersdodo Wed 03-Oct-12 22:26:13

coconut oil, sunflower oil. It doesn't have to be something expensive and/or marketed for pregnant ladies.

whatsoever Wed 03-Oct-12 23:10:20

I've used a few different ones but the Boo Boo Baby one my mum got me was paraben free.

Clarella Wed 03-Oct-12 23:26:03

I found something called Derma Mum in boots, cream and also an oil that appears to be natural. rosehip, evening primrose and borage oil. Simple plain and smells of just oil. Much bigger bottle than bio oil but can't remember price. Not really using till I see some stretch marks, my mum didnt get any so we'll see...!

ThreeWheelsGood Wed 03-Oct-12 23:28:13

Stretchmark prevention? Get born with the right genetics/skin type I'm afraid!

I have found ordinary moisturiser soothing on my stretchmarks, not spending money on snake oil.

Clarella Wed 03-Oct-12 23:28:56

Tbh, how about olive oil or try a base oil from neals yard?

SoupDragon Thu 04-Oct-12 07:02:58

I agree with the ones who've said that if you're going to get them, you will. Use anything that makes you skin feel nice and soft, not expensive stretchmark creams

Impatientwino Thu 04-Oct-12 07:16:32

I used Bio oil and L'Occitiane sweet almond body oil every single day - both were great and the almond oil smelt amazing - its a dry oil too - felt really nice keeping my bump nice and smooth/soft and only had 1 small stretch mark smile

Day after delivery I noticed a huge mass of stretch marks had now shown themselves on my lower tummy hmm

Still sulking about it!

Iheartpasties Thu 04-Oct-12 07:19:13

olive oil

PeshwariNaan Thu 04-Oct-12 08:05:20

Weleda's stretch mark oil is really, really good. Weleda is a very pro-natural company with good values. The stuff is amazing.

Clarella Thu 04-Oct-12 08:12:22

I do think its genetics, then use oils afterwards to help heal any scarring.

jujumum78 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:44:37

I agree with those that opt for oils not marketed at pregnant mums, totally rip off. I used organic base oils like sweet almond in my first pregnancy from www.iamnatural.co.uk. They don't use any nasties and are a good ethical company too. I shall be ordering from them again as I am 11 wks with DC2. Not related but it's worth getting the I Am Natural Organic Tea Tree Gel too as it helps with cuts and abrasions after childbirth - you know what I'm talking about ladies!

PostBellumBugsy Thu 04-Oct-12 11:50:42

There isn't one. Stretch marks are cause partly by stretching, but also by the hormones.
Use whatever you will enjoy, try to eat plenty of good quality protein and don't waste money on products that promise they'll help prevent stretchmarks because they won't. There are some trials that show vitamin e applied topically may help - but its only a "may".

emeraldgirl1 Thu 04-Oct-12 15:09:28

Thanks everyone! Peshwari, I think I will seek out that weleda one as I love their stuff and find it reasonably priced.

Jaffacakeeater Thu 04-Oct-12 15:11:59

I used Derma Mum throughout both my twin and singleton pregnancy and don't have a single stretch mark. Start early before you show. Genetics is a huge factor but well moisturised skin can't hurt!

Diamond7 Thu 04-Oct-12 18:58:23

Genetics is the main thing and gradual weight gain.

Best most natural thing to try, olive oil like mentioned or my favourite pure/unrefined shea butter.

Smallgreenone Thu 04-Oct-12 19:03:00

Clarins tonic oil is amazing. I put on 2.5 stone with DS and not a mark on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now