Talk

Advanced search

Feeling awful

(12 Posts)
rainand Tue 02-Oct-12 21:03:13

Hi

I'm 6-7 weeks and feeling absolutely awful. Nauseuas and my whole body feels sick. Is this normal? When will it go away? What can I do stop it?

AliceHurled Tue 02-Oct-12 21:05:33

Sorry to hear that. Difficult to say when it'll go away I'm afraid. Make sure you look after yourself

AlisonDB Tue 02-Oct-12 21:18:04

Its a tough 1,
With DS1, i was sick from week 5 - 12 spiked at week 9.
With ds2 (im now 29weeks) i still have sickness.
Just try to eat what you can when you can and kerp your fluids up.
X

fuchsia01 Wed 03-Oct-12 12:09:10

I'm somewhere between 6 & 11 weeks (waiting for a dating scan!) and I felt absolutely fine up to the point where I found out I was pregnant, and since then it's been nausea 24 hours a day! I feel wretched (and not helped by the fact that now I have flu). I'm trying everything - getting out of bed slowly, eating a biscuit before getting up, ginger tea, crystallised ginger, ginger ale...!! I feel loads better when I snack but trying really hard not to do that as I don't want to gain too much weight. Yesterday I discovered that eating a handful of jelly sweets got rid of the nausea almost instantly - result! Just got to work on not eating the whole packet....!

WillYouDoTheFandango Wed 03-Oct-12 12:17:11

You poor thing, it's horrible isn't it. Everyone's different - I peaked at 9 weeks, went away at 11 and came back 13-18. From speaking to other people an average of around 14 weeks seemed normal. Eat whatever you can manage and as long as you're takin your supplements the baby will take the good stuff before you. Try to keep hydrated too as that made me feel much worse.

Hope it's over soon for you

emeraldgirl1 Wed 03-Oct-12 12:20:25

rainand my heart goes out to you, I was in exactly your position. I felt like death barely warmed up from week 6 to week 11. I posted on here about it and people were lovely and said it would almost certainly pass and I didn't really believe them!! smile I honestly felt so bad (nauseous constantly and tired like I couldn't have believed; drugged was a more accurate description). It reached a low point in middle of week 11 when I started crying, alone, in public. Just couldn't face feeling so unlike myself anymore. Then at the end of week 11 I quite suddenly began to feel a little bit better... by middle of week 12 I was VERY much better... and suddenly at about week 13 I stopped thinking about it because I felt fine.

Am now 16w and feeling like my old self, food aversions have almost entirely gone, appetite is back, never nauseous, no more than ordinarily tired.

I am SURE the same will happen for you, even though I didn't believe the lovely MNers who told me the same!!!

Just try to get your head down and get through the next few weeks, cancel everything you can possibly cancel on the social front, sleep whenever you possibly can and eat what you can manage. And be easy on yourself!! I hadn't at all appreciated just how much was going on inside at that stage - an entire person is being formed very very fast indeed - so it's honestly no wonder you feel (like I did) like you've been hit by a bus.

Good luck and keep going smile xx

emeraldgirl1 Wed 03-Oct-12 12:23:57

Oh and have you tried travel sickness bands? I dread to think how bad I would have felt without wearing these every day from week 6 to 12. I actually noticed within half an hour of taking them off that I was starting to feel even worse. I know they don't work for everyone but they certainly did for me.

fuchsia like you I was concerned about unneccessary weight gain. But eating did make me feel better. I tried a trick of dividing all my meals into two so I ate the same amount over the course of a day but was eating every 2ish hours. So a smaller bowl of cereal for breakfast followed by another one an hourish later... sandwich at lunch and then my usual yogurt or whatever an hour or so later. That plus a box of very dry and not high-cal crackers in my handbag AT ALL TIMES certainly helped a bit and I didn't gain any more weight than necc.

PeshwariNaan Wed 03-Oct-12 12:24:18

Normal. I was seriously ill from 6-20 weeks and still get sick occasionally now though I am 100 times better. It was like having the stomach flu + regular flu for that entire time period, I kid you not!

ratbagcatbag Wed 03-Oct-12 12:24:19

Exactly what emerald said, I'm now 14 weeks and not particularly enjoying being pregnant and out of control of my body, but it is getting better, appetite isn't back yet but sickness is all but gone, and tiredness easing. As said before cancel everything you can and if you need 18 hrs sleep from the moment you get in from work, take it. I still cry at everything though smile

emeraldgirl1 Wed 03-Oct-12 12:26:16

ratbagcatbag - yes, like you I am not exactly enjoying it, the out of control of my body thing is hard to deal with. smile I think I am just so relieved at the moment to be feeling more human and less like a zombie!!!

bumpitybumpbump Wed 03-Oct-12 12:57:43

Mine lasted until 15.5 weeks sad, but I've heard a lot of people's goes between 12-14 weeks. I do feel for you - it is horrendous and I don't think people (men) understand how debilitating it is.

Top tips from me would be:
1. give accupuncture a go - you might find your GP offers this, otherwise it's available by private practitioners. It helped me.
2. get fluids down by sticking to ice cold water with a squeeze of lemon.
3. Ice lollies made me feel better.
4. Don't worry about eating healthily, just get what you can down.
5. if it persists or becomes too debilitating, go to your doctor and insist on medication - there are lots of different anti-emetics out there that have been used safely for years. If your GP refuses then demand to see someone else.
6. get as much sleep as you physically can.
7. eat little and often to try and maintain blood sugar levels.
8. A lot of people have found haribo gets them through it -so give it a go but be careful to try and avoid a blood sugar crash by trying to eat something more sustaining.
9. You will be told that Ginger helps. Did nothing for me but give it a go.

Good luck - I promise that when the sky clears and you are back to feeling normal it will have been worth it. I'm only at 16 weeks now and am already forgetting how horrendous it was. almost.
xxx

CityDweller Wed 03-Oct-12 14:51:03

I felt like crap from exactly 6 wks until about 11 weeks (nausea, exhausted) then just mildly crap until this week (am 14 wks now). My advice is listen to your body - sleep when you can, eat what you can stomach, get take away if you can't bear cooking smells. You will survive on toast for a good long while if that's what it takes! And (hopefully) you will feel better soon. It's only now I'm feeling more myself again that I realize quite how rough those weeks were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now