Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Active birth or hypnobirthing classes

(5 Posts)
chipsandmushypeas Tue 02-Oct-12 14:39:56

Is anyone doing active birth classes or hypnobirthing classes?

I did a few sessions of yoga and enjoyed it so will continue when I'm on mat leave. But I can't decide on either an active birth workshop or hypnobirthing classes? I don't want anything too hippyish just some classes to help me stay calm, breathe well and get into good positions for labour

isambardo Tue 02-Oct-12 14:55:35

I do active birth/yoga classes and would highly recommend them. Its good prep for labour and helping the position of the baby. I feel much more informed and prepared from going to it. I have heard several good reports of the workshops they run which you can attend it with your partner.

Would love to do hypnobirthing classes too but can't afford it so I use the book and CD called 'effective birth preparation'. If I could I would do both as I think they compliment each other well.

I decided to do it this way because the active birth classes are physical and I don't think I would get the same benefits from a book without having a teacher in front of me. Hypnobirthing is, I'm sure, better in a class but the CD is a good second best.

princesslina Tue 02-Oct-12 17:29:39

I am using an online hypnobirthing course and just going to one private one on one session with the lady so much more affordable for me. You can also just do the online course ... it includes lots of mp3 downloads, video tutorials and summary sheets. I found the details through several clients of mine who had used the course or done a workshop with Kristin and who had incredible births. I really cannot recommmend it highly enough. The website is positive-birth.com. And I had a discount code for the online course which was CE10. I also had a client that used the mp3s that are specific to helping turn a breech baby ... the baby turned two days before she was born ... could be coincidence but I will be trying it if baby turns out to be breech!!

Bryzoan Tue 02-Oct-12 17:35:58

My husband and I went on a weekend active birth workshop with Janet balaskas at the active birth centre in London when I was pregnant with dd1. I think it is probably the best money we've ever spent. Dh was quite sceptical before we went whereas i had done quite a lot of reading but we both learned loads - and he was able to support me very effectively in labour as we were both on the same page and I could trust his advice. I am pretty sure that without the course I would have ended up with a c-section (the midwives didn't think I was having real contractions, and were lining up a theatre when I started the second stage!) - as it was it was a very positive birth experience despite dd being prem and me being on a drip and monitors. I did a hypnobirthing course too which was also useful - but it was the active birth one that really came through for us - j struggle not to bully all my pregnant friends into going on it!

chipsandmushypeas Tue 02-Oct-12 17:45:57

Thank you for replies. That's exactly the course I was thinking of booking Bryzoan the weekend course, so it doesn't go on for weeks too. I think I'll book it. I'm due Christmas Eve and they only have it on the 1st and 2nd December, is that too late?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now