Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

If the radiographer could tell gender quickly does that mean it is a boy?

(24 Posts)
wildpoppy Tue 02-Oct-12 11:21:43

We don't want to know gender in advance. Had extra scan at 29 weeks last week and radiographer, knowing we didn't want to know, told us when the time to look away was. Very quickly - less than a minute, that bit of the scan was over. Does that mean she must have easily found a willy and it's a boy?

SuperSesame Tue 02-Oct-12 11:24:15

Something similar happened me, we didn't want to know.
Placenta previa scan at 32 weeks. I asked her if she knew what we were having and she quickly said yes and I said don't tell us!
It was a boy! So yes, I think that might be true!

TheAngelshavetheOod Tue 02-Oct-12 12:14:02

Might just have been the angle baby was at?

FredWorms Tue 02-Oct-12 12:16:05

Nope, not at all.

Happened to us, exactly the same, we convinced ourselves it was a boy. She's now 11!

Isn't it funny how you say you don't want to know and then you try reeeeally hard to work it out. We were just the same grin

Bluegrass Tue 02-Oct-12 12:17:28

If you don't want to know why are you on the Internet trying to find out!

FredWorms Tue 02-Oct-12 12:18:15

Human nature Bluegrass, and it's kind of fun!

elfycat Tue 02-Oct-12 12:20:56

I guess it depends on the angle of the baby, if it's got both legs aimed at the ultrasound then it'll be easy to spot the yes or the no for boy bits. I asked for DD2 and it was a very quick answer because of her position.

Keep buying baby neutrals smile

wildpoppy Tue 02-Oct-12 12:21:40

Bluegrass/Fredworms. Of course I want to know. I just don't want to know. I like guessing. And I have no way of knowing if I'm right. And as Fredworms says, human nature...

Was conviced dd was boy. All the old wivers tales suggested boy. Heartbeat rate, shape of bump etc. Even has a kidney condition picked up at 20 weeks scan which google told me was much more common in boys. Turns out more common isn't exclusive to, and she was a girl.

mrsbugsywugsy Tue 02-Oct-12 12:22:51

If you don't want to know, why have you posted here? grin

The radiographer just told you to look away in case it was obvious. Depending on what the extra scan was for, maybe it didn't matter to them whether your baby is a girl or boy, so they skimmed over that part quite quickly.

At my scan the sonographer very quickly said that it was a girl. I'm still pregnant so not sure if she was right or not.

Bluegrass Tue 02-Oct-12 12:24:28

Not all human nature! I've been through this very recently, everyone wanted to share their theories but I was very happy to be utterly surprised when he arrived :-)

armedtotheteeth Tue 02-Oct-12 12:25:02

hopefully it was a sonographer not a radiographer smile

I suspect it probably was a boy - we didn't want to know the sex of our dds, had quite a few extra scans and were never asked to look away!

armedtotheteeth Tue 02-Oct-12 12:26:46

PS. I take it back - thought radiography meant x-rays blush

Ilovedaintynuts Tue 02-Oct-12 12:32:13

Radiographers do scans too.

My two DD's genders were both very obvious within seconds - I saw before the radiographer said anything. There isn't just a lack of a willy there is a very clear vulva.
My DS's willy and balls were more problematic to find smile

EagleRiderDirk Tue 02-Oct-12 12:32:16

When I had my 20 week scan we asked gender, sonographer said she'd caught the area and baby was a girl. But then did the proper check and went, "oh very wrong, definitely a boy".

It could be that it was obviously male, or just that what they were checking would have been obvious if you look on screen. At ds' 33 week growth scan it was all very obvious!

wildpoppy Tue 02-Oct-12 12:36:04

thanks all - still a mystery then. We only have a boys name picked out... ten weeks to go though. (Well, I have a girl's name - dh is yet to be persuaded).

saffronwblue Tue 02-Oct-12 12:38:45

At my scan DH said " can you tell the sex?" The sonographer laughed and said, Oh YES I can. I was furious with DH for asking because we did not want to know and I assumed it must be a boy from the speed and confidence of the answer. However, was a girl...

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Tue 02-Oct-12 12:41:49

No. We found out the sex with both ours and it was really fast...and obvious! It looks like a girls bits if they're in the right position.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 02-Oct-12 20:37:29

Not at all. with ds I didn't want to know and the she put the scanner thing on my belly which brought up a perfect shot of my ds now well known willy dance. With dd it took them ages to get the right angle, I was dying to find out that time, with this one, also a girl they got the money shot straight away and it was obvious she had a tuppence and no dangly bits.
If they get the right shot at 20 weeks it's blaringly obvious even to my untrained eye whether you are looking at an island and palm tree or a hamburger.

prettysunset Tue 02-Oct-12 20:48:15

The Radiographer/Sonographer would have seen quickly either way if in the vacinity of the genitals at 29 weeks.

Radiographer/Sonographer, Potato/Potata! I personally don't mind either- we generally start as Radiographers then after a few years of post grad train in Ultrasound (or other modalities...) Just don't Ever call me a 'scan tech'!

wildpoppy Tue 02-Oct-12 23:31:07

Hey a real life radiographer! Thank you Andyflo. I will go back to not knowing in that case. Even though she later said 'he's absolutely fine' not 'he or she is fine'. I will put that down to english as a second language...

While you are here... She said the belly an the fluid on the top end of normal but just within normal so don't worry. Now, of course, I am worried. Should I be? (I have high bmi but gtt last week fine and dd was big too - 8lb 15.)

EagleRiderDirk Wed 03-Oct-12 07:09:04

Don't worry about the "he" comment either. With dd we knew she wa female but she was referred to as he a couple of times by sonographer and all by surgeon and midwives after her birth. I've been told there's a habit of referring to babies that way.

kalidasa Wed 03-Oct-12 08:28:07

I think by 29 weeks if they're in that area it can be immediately obvious either way so I wouldn't read too much into it.

On the other hand, I had a scan at 11 weeks where the sonographer quite quickly said "do you want to know the sex?" (which we hadn't expected at all at that stage), and I thought immediately it must be a boy to be able to spot it so early. We said yes anyway and were indeed told boy, which has been confirmed at all of our (many) scans since.

prettysunset Wed 03-Oct-12 18:36:29

wildpoppy nothing at all to worry about! All the very best!

wildpoppy Wed 03-Oct-12 19:23:51

I love you Andyflo grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now