Advanced search

changing your surname? Anyone done this. Please help.

(9 Posts)
1stbabyat30 Tue 02-Oct-12 10:16:07

Hi all,
I had no clue where to put this Q under all the titles. My partner would like me to change my surname to his (I legally still have my ex husbands surname - and we won't be able to afford or process a divorce before our baby arrives and then get married!) so that all our names are the same. I would love to do this. I looked on Google but a lot of sites come up that I don't think are legitimate! Has anyone done this? Do you know where you go? What you do, how long it takes? How much it costs etc?
He is desperate to do this 'properly' and I would love to make our little family a little bit legal by doing this.
Please help.

whatsoever Tue 02-Oct-12 10:41:49

Hi OP,

A friend of mine changed her name by deed poll back to her maiden name post-divorce. She got a form from the registry office, I witnessed it and it was about £35. That was in the early noughties so probably more expensive now but I wouldn't think too much more.

You just have to be sure to change all your documents etc to the new name as that is part of the deal - that you in effect renounce your former name. Unlike when you marry and are free to use your maiden name, married name or double barrelled version freely.

1stbabyat30 Tue 02-Oct-12 10:49:03

brilliant - thank you whatsoever - the websites that come up all look very dodgy.

Sosmum Tue 02-Oct-12 13:58:23

Hi 1st,

I also did mine after divorcing my ex husband - I did it on line and was all legal and above board. I used UK Deed Poll Service - all legal and cost me about £50. Let me know if you need more info x

charlienash25 Tue 02-Oct-12 14:21:09

Hi, i have just changed my partners name by deed poll - cost £33 for the initial certificate then £15 for 2 copies (so you can send the details off to change names on driving license, bills etc) this is the site to use.

1stbabyat30 Tue 02-Oct-12 14:23:39

thank you :-)

SparklyGothKat Tue 02-Oct-12 14:27:53

I used that site too to change my name back to my maiden name and dp changed his to my maiden name. A word of warning make sure you change your name at the gp and hospital as my dd3 was given my old surname at first while in special care and my partner hated that she had my exhs name for a while.

1stbabyat30 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:04:24

thanks everyone ever so much for such great advice. I have been on there and cant believe how easy it was - so excited to tell partner - can be a surprise for his birthday. grin

1stbabyat30 Tue 02-Oct-12 15:14:03

thanks so much thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now